autodimming interior mirror

I had a replacement front windscreen a few months ago and have not driven in the dark until recently - now I think the autodim function is no longer working. Is it switchable through Vagcom or similar ?

IIRC, there are two little lights below the mirror and one of them used to be lit up (some of the time at least) - since the windscreen was treplaced, neither of them are

any ideas ?

Edited by gwm97e

There is a switch to turn this on and off. Sounds silly but I didnt know about this as its well hidden (its underneath the bottom of the mirror). It is switched on isnt it?.

Give that man a cigar ! - there is, must have been caught when the bloke replaced the windscreen, works fine now.

I doff my cap to you, sir

Just out of interest (sorry if this is classed as a thread hijack but the OP has his question answered) does anyone else think their auto dimming rear-view mirror is a bit rubbish?

I would much prefer a manually operated rear view mirror as the auto one doesn't react quickly enough and doesn't dim enough. I only really notice when the nights are longer (such as this time of year) and headlights from any car behind me blind me. I resort to adjusting the mirror anyway so as far as I'm concerned it's a bit pants. Linking in to the dimming door mirror is not a bad idea but doesn't compensate for shortcomings elsewhere.

• Like 1

the auto one doesn't react quickly enough and doesn't dim enough.

Mines the opposite. Reacts early and very quickly. On my L & K both wing mirrors dim along with the internal mirror and it's very effective.

In fact it's so effective at reducing glare from behind, that I sometimes turn it off on the motorway at night to maintain situational awareness.

Hardly ever have mine on, but I know it works and works well when I have to switch it on cos some **** in a range rover with their headlights an extra foot from the floor is parked in my boot at 60mph.

I keep mine on permanently. I know it works well because I never even think about it; never notice it. UNTIL I drive a car with the old manual switch. That is when you realise how good it is!

My one beef is that the switch is the wrong way around. Why do you need a switch to turn it off? You don't! But what you do need is a switch to turn it ON - ie to make it go dark. That way when it is a dull day and there is a Range Rover or motorcycle behind you with headlights on you could darken the mirror.

• Like 1

I too have mine on all the time - It was switched on when I picked the car up and hasn't been switched off since. It reacts quickly and works so well that I don't even notice it's done something until I happen to notice the mirror is "tinted" showing it's dimmed. Very impressed with how well it does to be honest.

I find it really useful and wouldn't be without it. Have you made sure the mirror is clean and the sensor?

I also agree with eccleshill above - I'd much rather have an option to turn the function ON manually. Don't really understand why there needs to be a manual option to turn it off, personally.