Staggered width and offset wheel question..

I had rubbing issues with 18x8 width at the back with wider than standard tyres on on my old Octy estate, I am sure that that 8.5x8 will rub more regardless of tyre size used. 18x8 with an ET of 42 already stick out from the bodywork, so I am sure the police would have something to say with another 1/2 inch or more sticking out.

The attached picture are 18x8 ET42 with 235 wide tyres on.

post-47-0-78738500-1351668857_thumb.jpg

I can't see those fronts working. My scout has 7 inch wide rims with a 50mm offset and I can get a finger between the rim and strut. Maybe 10mm clear. You are looking at 1.5" wider with 8mm less offset. That's 3/4"-8mm, around 11mm more protrusion. Crystal ball says no.

Why so wide and why wider on the rear on a fwd car?

Depends on what suspension setup you're running/wanting to use but I'd agree.

I run 8x18 ET42 with 225/40/18 all-round and that's as much as I'd want to go, especially on the front.

The rear would allow for some tuck, again depending on your ride height and setup. But to goto 9.5 on the rear while lowering the offset to that degree is a bit daft in my book, for everyday....