2nd Service costs

Hi guys, my Superb Estate 1.8 170 DSG is due its 2nd service shortly, it will be around 29,000 miles!

Just wondered what is covered in the service and what is the target price I should be looking for?

Thanks for your help on this as usual

Cheers

Paul

Skoda now do fixed price servicing & maintenance like other VW Brands.....

http://www.skoda.co..../servicing.aspx

"

If your vehicle requires brake fluid as part of a minor service this will be charged for seperately [sic] at a cost of £45.00." Presumably spell-checking is optional as well. ;-)

Edited by StuartAB

Not just the spelling!

In the footnotes, the first item is marked by a single asterisk. But there is no item marked with a single asterisk in the body of the advert. Sloppy!

And what it says after the first asterisk states that these prices are only for vehicles 3 years or older. So these prices are not relevant to those of us with cars for which their next service will be the second one.

Perhaps I should offer my services as the most pedantic proof-reader!

And brake fluid? An extra £45 for a top up? Even a change of brake fluid should not cost this - a lot of Ford dealers charge £25 for that!

Think I'd definitely take the trouble to check my brake fluid before committing my car to one of these services!

Not just the spelling!

In the footnotes, the first item is marked by a single asterisk. But there is no item marked with a single asterisk in the body of the advert. Sloppy!

And what it says after the first asterisk states that these prices are only for vehicles 3 years or older. So these prices are not relevant to those of us with cars for which their next service will be the second one.

Maybe the first asterisk refers to the MOT only, and that is only for vehicles 3 years or older. That would mean that the prices apply to all cars irrespective of age - but I agree, it's sloppy proof-reading.

Maybe the first asterisk refers to the MOT only, and that is only for vehicles 3 years or older. That would mean that the prices apply to all cars irrespective of age - but I agree, it's sloppy proof-reading.

Yeah, it could be that, but all the talk about parts, labour and oil seem to suggest it does refer to servicing.............

* For ŠKODA vehicles 3 years (from first MOT) up to 10 years old. National Pricing is available to retail customers at participating ŠKODA retailers only. All prices are (where applicable) inclusive of standard
parts, labour, oil
and VAT and come with a two-year parts and labour warranty. This offer can be varied or withdrawn at any time and cannot be used in conjunction with any other offer. Further terms and conditions apply, please ask your ŠKODA retailer for details.

And brake fluid? An extra £45 for a top up? Even a change of brake fluid should not cost this - a lot of Ford dealers charge £25 for that!

Its not a top upm, its replacement of the fluid. Brake fluid must be replaced every 2 years. It absorbs water over time which reduces its boiling point. If the fluid boils when you goto brake then your pedal will goto the floor and you won't slow down.

And when my boss took his Focus into Ford for a service they wanted £129 for the brake fluid bleed.

The second service does have the brake fluid changed, as above this fluid absorbs moisture. Had my service today the brake fluid service was itemised at £39.60 including vat.

Its not a top upm, its replacement of the fluid. Brake fluid must be replaced every 2 years. It absorbs water over time which reduces its boiling point. If the fluid boils when you goto brake then your pedal will goto the floor and you won't slow down.

And when my boss took his Focus into Ford for a service they wanted £129 for the brake fluid bleed.

I agree that brake fade due to moisture in the brake fluid can be a serious issue. Generally to be a problem, the caliper needs to be much hotter than would occur in normal road conditions. However, long descents (even with light but constant braking) or prolonged heavy braking can produce these conditions. Descended from 14,100 feet to 7,500 feet on one occasion (Pikes Peak, Colorado), and had my front brakes scanned with an infra-red thermometer at the ranger station. Anything above 250 deg. F, and you have to park yourself in the naughty corner for 30 minutes. Ticket if you don't comply!

£45 is not too excessive for a brake fluid change, £129 is. My local Ford main dealer charged £25 the last time it was done (March 2012) on my wife's Focus. But the wording of the Skoda fixed price servicing page suggests that even a top up could be billed at this price. It says nothing about brake fluid renewal.

Quote:

"Please note - If your vehicle requires brake fluid as part of a minor service this will be charged for seperately at a cost of £45.00."

Also noted that the list of items done at a major (2 year) service does not include the brake fluid change. It is a badly written document.

The second service does have the brake fluid changed, as above this fluid absorbs moisture. Had my service today the brake fluid service was itemised at £39.60 including vat.

According to the service book (Page 11 of the service schedule (05.11 revision) "After 3 years,and additionally every 2 years: Change brake fluid") a brake fluid change is not due until the 3rd (36 month) service; furthermore, many franchise dealers (but maybe not VAG) will measure the boiling point of the fluid, and then advise on whether or not replacement is required. Depending on conditions, you might actually need renewal before the 3 or 2 year point.

• 2 weeks later...

Having just read my Service Manual for Superb, Octavia and Yeti models, the brake fluid has to be changed every THIRD year ( for the reason you stated )

But I think that is only on fixed servicing intervals and not variable as stated above.

Agreed, the foot note does state for vehicles on fixed servicing only, howerever the 'major' service is the same as a variable service.

Therefore the maximum anyone should pay, anywhere in the UK for any variable service is £249.

Better still, do what I do.

Pay for a minor service (£129), ask them to do the fuel and air filter too (£70) and pay £200 instead of £249.

They claim the additional cost is for all the checks they do but in my experience the checks are the first thing the dealer does regardless of what it's up on the ramps for as this is their opportunity to find 'extra work'!

• 1 month later...

i don't understand all this brake fluid changing i have bean driving cars for 50 years and have never changed the brake fluid on my cars. but all the cars i have owned i have never had a problem with the brakes.my question is are they just squeezing more money out of us.

bill

• Like 1

The fact that brake fluid is hygroscopic is not debatable, but what does that actually mean? An accepted definition would probably include that it has "the ability to attract and hold water molecules from the surrounding environment." OK, so where does it absorb if from? The only part open to the environment is the brake fluid reservoir. The reservoir is there to keep the already air-bled fluid topped up if required, should the fluid drop (by wear of pads or shoes which allows more movement of caliper pistons or brake shoe actuators). Like Bill, I've never previously changed my brake fluid on other makes, but I've also never heard of the cause of an accident being identified as "brake fluid overdue for replacement" or "lowered boiling point of brake fluid" and I was around accident investigations for many years, sorting out culprits rather than causes.

Given the importance of brake fluid per se, I cannot imagine that its quality specifications have been reduced over the last few years. Bearing in mind the advances in car design generally, I also find it hard to accept that brake design has deteriorated either. Service intervals have, if anything, increased over the years, especially with the advent of synthetic engine oils, etc., so the servicing industry could have suffered a financial hit if service prices had remained static. Think about what a major service cost 5 - 10 years ago and see if you think the costs have, relatively speaking, reduced or increased.

Manufacturers, through their dealers, should be prepared to accurately and scientifically justify slapping on a requirement, such as brake fluid changing, that didn't exist in far more primitively-engineered vehicles, but do they? No, they don't! "It's Skoda policy, sir," or "The manual requires it, sir," or the ludicrous "It will void your warranty, sir" are trotted out in a defiant tone - otherwise known as the "like it or lump it accent." If the hygrospocy of brake fluid was such an issue, it would be on the list of items required to be tested during an MoT examination - is it? - NO it is NOT.

Miserable prat that I am, I still would not wish anyone to suffer injury or worse from brake failure, whatever the cause, but I also don't want anyone ripped off on an un-evidenced claim by a body only becoming richer by such a claim.

Ray

• Like 1

I just get my garage to do the hydroscopic test on the brake fluid and as you say Ray that is the nearest point of entry, though some might say it can get into the calipers but you would see a leak as it is at a higher pressure.

Edited by Danny 57