First service today

Got the car in August with 16 (yes sixteen) miles on it. Now reading around 9400 miles and heading back to DM Keith in York for its first service.

It was allegedly changed to variable servicing before I bought it, so God knows why it's decided it needs a service already. At 3000 miles a month it should have got more than under 9500 miles?

Have asked them to look into the usual rattle behind the gearbox when the engine is under load 1500-2000 rpm. They claim not to know it's a common fault!

Hoping for a wash & valet while it's there! :think:

Got the car in August with 16 (yes sixteen) miles on it. Now reading around 9400 miles and heading back to DM Keith in York for its first service.

It was allegedly changed to variable servicing before I bought it, so God knows why it's decided it needs a service already. At 3000 miles a month it should have got more than under 9500 miles?

Have asked them to look into the usual rattle behind the gearbox when the engine is under load 1500-2000 rpm. They claim not to know it's a common fault!

Hoping for a wash & valet while it's there! :think:

Watch it doesn't come out worse than when it went in! (marked from their cleaning method)

Not a terribly happy customer.

When I bought the car, I was promised it would be put onto variable.

When I picked the car up, I was promised it had been put on variable.

Yet when I arrived with it yesterday, the same salesman told me that apparently they couldn't change the service interval in the PDI, it had to wait until the first service.

I'll be posting this in the relevent section for DM Keith York. :wall:

By default it would be set to variable. To get it on to fixed, the dealer must have changed it.

I would check what oil they used in service and what interval it is on now. You can do the later yourself in maxidot and the former should be on your invoice. For variable they need to use fully synthetic oil at the service. IIRC at the fixed services they normally use semi-synthetic.

Cheers

Steve

By default it would be set to variable. To get it on to fixed, the dealer must have changed it.

I would check what oil they used in service and what interval it is on now. You can do the later yourself in maxidot and the former should be on your invoice. For variable they need to use fully synthetic oil at the service. IIRC at the fixed services they normally use semi-synthetic.

Cheers

Steve

With my old Octavia, you had to use a different oil for variable servicing vs fixed servicing. When I had the discussion with SM Keith, they told me that the newer models use the same oil regardless as part of emissions control.

From the (f) manual, it appears that diesel engines use the same oil regardless of service regime, while it differs for petrol engines.

Specifications and capacity (in l) for vehicles with flexible service intervals

Petrol engines Specification Filling level

1.4 ltr./92 kW TSI - EU5 VW 504 00 3.6

1.8 l/118 kW TSI - EU5

1.8 l/112 kW TSI - EU5/EU4/EU2/(BS4)

VW 504 00 4.6

2.0 l/147 kW TSI - EU5 VW 504 00 4.6

3.6 ltr./191 kW FSI - EU5/EU2/(BS4) VW 504 00 5.5

Diesel engines Specification Filling level

1.6 ltr./77 kW TDI CR - EU5 VW 507 00 4.3

2.0 ltr./103 kW TDI CR DPF - EU5 VW 507 00 4.3

2.0 ltr./103 kW TDI CR - EU5/EU4/BS4 VW 507 00 4.0

2.0 ltr./125 kW TDI CR DPF - EU5 VW 507 00 4.3

Specifications and capacity (in l) for vehicles with fixed service intervals

Petrol engines Specification

Filling level

1.4 ltr./92 kW TSI - EU5 VW 502 00 3.6

1.8 l/118 kW TSI - EU5

1.8 l/112 kW TSI - EU5/EU4/EU2/(BS4)

VW 502 00 4.6

Petrol engines Specification

Filling level

2.0 l/147 kW TSI - EU5 VW 502 00 4.6

3.6 ltr./191 kW FSI - EU5/EU2/(BS4) VW 502 00 5.5

If the oils specified above are not available, oils according to ACEA A2 or ACEA A3

can be used once for refilling.

Diesel engines Specification

Filling level

1.6 ltr./77 kW TDI CR - EU5 VW 507 00 4.3

2.0 ltr./103 kW TDI CR DPF - EU5 VW 507 00 4.3

2.0 ltr./103 kW TDI CR - EU5/EU4/BS4 VW 507 00 4.0

2.0 ltr./125 kW TDI CR DPF - EU5 VW 507 00 4.3

If the oils specified above are not available, oils according to ACEA B3 or ACEA B4

can be used once for refilling.

That seems to have lost the formatting, but basically it says that petrol engines use VW 502 00 on a fixed service routine, and VW 504 00 on flexible; diesel engines use VW 507 00 on both.

My first service also came up at 9500 mls (10 months). Apparently the car was set for variable servicing but I was asked if I wanted a fixed or variable service. Fixed was £135 and variable £215. I opted for fixed and they then proceeded to try and charge me for variable, which they claimed to have carried out. Anyway I paid the lower amount, as far as I can see the main difference is oil although how this equates to another £80 I fail to see.

The resolution was that the Sales Department at the dealership paid for the service. I was still out of pocket in terms of CDW on the load car and fuel, but I'm happy that it was a decent gesture.

Car is now set to longlife servicing. :thumbup:

The resolution was that the Sales Department at the dealership paid for the service. I was still out of pocket in terms of CDW on the load car and fuel, but I'm happy that it was a decent gesture.

Car is now set to longlife servicing. :thumbup:

Glad you got it sorted and are now on variable. It's good that dealer corrected issue in the right way. It's a shame they have a method of changing variable to fixed in he first place. Hopefully they will now stop this practice.

Cheers

Steve

It will tell you what sevicing regime the car was set to at the factory if you look at the sticker in the spare wheel well or in the service book there should be a 3 letter code of either QG1 or QG2. 1 is variable and 2 is fixed. It will tell you in the service book. At least it will if the Superb one is the same as my Octavia.

Ian

I used to use DM Keith in York, not any more.

They used one of those plastic strip type tools to remove the beaded water on the car after it's 30 second pressure wash which left scratches across both wings and the bonnet where it had dragged a bit of grit across the paintwork.

They also incorrectly fitted a set of injectors which meant diesel fuel mixed with the engine oil and ruined the turbo. (this took them 21 working days to fix).

They were unable to fix a cold starting issue.

I got fed up with their lies in the end.

• 2 weeks later...

I used to use DM Keith in York, not any more.

They used one of those plastic strip type tools to remove the beaded water on the car after it's 30 second pressure wash which left scratches across both wings and the bonnet where it had dragged a bit of grit across the paintwork.

They also incorrectly fitted a set of injectors which meant diesel fuel mixed with the engine oil and ruined the turbo. (this took them 21 working days to fix).

They were unable to fix a cold starting issue.

I got fed up with their lies in the end.

How long ago was this?

Latest issues....my rattles have been fixed but various bits of trim have not been put back together properly. To be fair, they have accepted it was substandard workmanship and are taking it back in to sort it.

It was an ongoing concern, October last year through to to March this year - at which point I gave up and vowed never to return.

Luckily I commute to Durham so now use Pulman VW/Skoda. Once you get better service it makes you wonder why you put up with substandard service for so long.

• 3 weeks later...

Happy New Year all,

When I got my Superb Eleg 4x4 Estate on 22 Dec 2011, (thank you Santa) i also purchased the 2 yr service pack for £249 (inc £50 voucher for accessories). This is a fixed service package - 20,000 or two years whichever is earliest. I didn't read the small print tho. My Superb was set to variable servicing and 16,700 on the clock I thought I would book a first service just within the year, even tho the variable servicing showed another 2000 or so miles or another 240 days.

When I took the car in and queried the service pack with my dealer against what the car was telling me they were very good. Agreed to do the 20,000 mile service as a first service and reset the car for fixed servicing for the second service (at 26,000). At that point they will reset the car to variable servicing. Happy enough with that.

One year on with a new set of front tyres (Conti sport contact 5) I'm really happy with the car. The new tyres are quieter and the service seems to have sorted that really annoying rattle from the passenger side glove compartment a lot of people have commented on. As part of the deal when I bough the car I also get free Sat Nav software upgrades from the dealer.

As a former Merc owner (winter 2010 finished me) I would say that the quality, drive and space in the estate leaves my former C Class dead in the water. At an average £400 Merc service, irrespective of fixed pricing, my pocket is a lot happier too. Also while the coffee and ambience may not be quite as good at Skoda the genuine welcome I get from the dealer principal at Mervyn Stewart, Belfast and everyone on the staff when I call in is in stark contrast to the the gushing but insincere 'hello' from my Merc dealer.

A

Happy New Year all,

When I got my Superb Eleg 4x4 Estate on 22 Dec 2011, (thank you Santa) i also purchased the 2 yr service pack for £249 (inc £50 voucher for accessories). This is a fixed service package - 20,000 or two years whichever is earliest. I didn't read the small print tho. My Superb was set to variable servicing and 16,700 on the clock I thought I would book a first service just within the year, even tho the variable servicing showed another 2000 or so miles or another 240 days.

When I took the car in and queried the service pack with my dealer against what the car was telling me they were very good. Agreed to do the 20,000 mile service as a first service and reset the car for fixed servicing for the second service (at 26,000). At that point they will reset the car to variable servicing. Happy enough with that.

One year on with a new set of front tyres (Conti sport contact 5) I'm really happy with the car. The new tyres are quieter and the service seems to have sorted that really annoying rattle from the passenger side glove compartment a lot of people have commented on. As part of the deal when I bough the car I also get free Sat Nav software upgrades from the dealer.

As a former Merc owner (winter 2010 finished me) I would say that the quality, drive and space in the estate leaves my former C Class dead in the water. At an average £400 Merc service, irrespective of fixed pricing, my pocket is a lot happier too. Also while the coffee and ambience may not be quite as good at Skoda the genuine welcome I get from the dealer principal at Mervyn Stewart, Belfast and everyone on the staff when I call in is in stark contrast to the the gushing but insincere 'hello' from my Merc dealer.

A

Why not comment over at Mervyn Stewart's listing in the Skoda Dealer Review - Northern Ireland section

Did better than that...gave them a written testimonial of their services and my experience as a happy Skoda owner, which I have invited them to use on their website. Very happy with Mervyn Stewart, from sales to service.

A