MPG Accuracy settings?

Can anyone tell me if there is a setting in the menu any where to adjust the accuracy of the mpg reading on the dot-matrix read out on the dash?

Just completed a 233 mile journey and the matrix gives a reading of 54.3mpg average.

Filled the car before and after brim to brim using 24 litres of diesel I work out the average to be 44mpg giving a computer over reading of 18.9 % and thus the range to empty over reading by 123miles.

If the accuracy can be adjusted has anyone got any instruction?

You have to do it in VCDS (the VAG/Skoda computer interface). I must say that yours is an extraordinary over-reading; mine over-read by an average of 6%, but now I've adjusted it it's pretty accurate.

Whereabouts in the UK are you? I'm sure someone with VCDS will sort it for a few quid.

...Filled the car before and after brim to brim using 24 litres of diesel I work out the average to be 44mpg giving a computer over reading of 18.9 % and thus the range to empty over reading by 123miles...

Did you use the same pump? If not, then that can make a big difference. A single fill-up is never going to be that accurate.

The rolling diameter of the tyre changes as the tread wears, so the accuracy will change. If you start will 8mm tread depth and end up at 2mm, then you've lost 12mm from the diameter.

If you can't get anyone with VCDS to change it for you, sign up for either a Fuelly or spritmonitor account.

These tracks fill ups and mileage and provide a more accurate means of recording fuel usage.

Ref the tyre wear, yes that will impact but he's only done 233 miles!

I've only had one brim-to-brim so far. Each time, allowed pump to cut off, waited 10 seconds, then 3 further click-offs with nozzle right in each time.

Indicated mileage on computer - 42.1 mpg. Actual calculated on fuel purchased - 42.2mpg. OK, it is only one instance, but at least it was very close, and not a mile off.

Incidentally, this was based on a mixture of town driving and open road - so 42 mpg isn't bad at all from a wee petrol engine in a large body.

Thats all mine is doing and it's an oil burner, you "feather" footed?

Hi there, I had covered 466 miles, maybe 300 at a steady 60, the rest around town (at a steady 60 on the level, it is doing 50-52mpg) I do drive very smoothly, with a lot of easing off, rather than sudden breaking, and probably slower acceleration than most folks, provided I don't have someone on my tail.

(by the way, when parked on the driveway, the economy is phenomenal !)

Location north Somerset.

Filled to cut off before and after at same fuel station with the same pump with same fuel grade of fuel in same weather conditions and time of day.

Will a dealer check / adjust accuracy when in for its first service? Car 10 months old 12.5k miles.

Will be doing the same trip again over xmas so will do another check, in the mean time ignoring average mpg and range