Help needed!

PaddyVRS

I'm trying to find the engine number on my car seeing as it has had the engine replaced and I had no details regarding the engine going in. I need it for my vehicle registration certificate etc. Seeing as the dealer where the work was done is around 200 miles away and is as useful as a chocolate teapot I had a look myself. The service manager "Didnt think of getting the engine number" when the work was done... :wall:

Now maybe I'm just being a bit special but I can't find the engine code on the engine, having been told "its on the engine near the gearbox". Have had a good look around and cant see anything obvious, or even partly visible. Does anybody know a: where the code is stamped on the engine and b: what is the easiest way to see it

Thanks!

I am only going by what my dealer told me;

1. The replacement engine is supplied without a number.

2. The installer is supposed to stamp onto the new engine, your original engine number.

3. There is no need to amend the V5.

This is what i was told when i queried this with my dealer when the engine was replaced. How true this is I honestly do not know, but i have decided to accept there word for it.

However, if your dealer is unable to tell you this, then the chance is either the information above is duff, or they didn't do this.

Each engine has a number as its built on the production line. Like a chassis number it links when the engine or car was built and if somethings faulty or recalled then they can show a implementation date for when they fixed this in production. This way they know between what dates the cars need to be modified. I work for Toyota and when we change engines we have to give the customer the new engine number and its the customers legal responsibility to inform the DVLA of the change so I'm sure every manufacturer would be the same.

we have to give the customer the new engine number and its the customers legal responsibility to inform the DVLA of the change so I'm sure every manufacturer would be the same.

I don't disagree with anything that you are saying, and would totally expect this. I therefore specifically asked my dealer about this as you need the V5 and engine number to tie up with each other. However the dealer stated as above and clarified it as;

1. They receive a factory rebuilt engine (not new) to which the original engine number has been removed

2. The dealer then has to stamp the replacement engine with the old number.

3. No need to change V5

If someone can actually tell me where the engine number is, i will get under the car this weekend and find out what mine is and whether it ties up with the V5.

That doesn't sound right to me, not 100% sure but even if the engine is rebuilt like all the Toyota ones we do are it still has its original engine number. What the manager is saying is like chop shop lol. Hopefully you get it sorted. I would pop into your local dealer for a free winter check or something like that and ask them to get the engine number off it while there looking at it. I'm sure they will have a look for you

My dad works for a vw dealer so il ask him tomorow, tbh i cant even see the dealers have the tools or abillity to stamp engine codes.

I would think it would be a factory only practice......but thats justy opinion and if dealers are saying diffrently then they could be right....as strange as it seems

Ford do the same - crate engines (for replacement) come with no number. There may well be some other number to identify it, but its not the engine number as detailed on the V5.

Does sound crazy as if there was a recall affecting engines xxxxxx to yyyyyyy then you could be missing something crucial.

My dad works for a vw dealer so il ask him tomorow, tbh i cant even see the dealers have the tools or abillity to stamp engine codes.

I would think it would be a factory only practice......but thats justy opinion and if dealers are saying diffrently then they could be right....as strange as it seems

Any chance you can find out the exact location of the codes? Maybe I have been looking in the right place but there is no code there?!?

Ok thanks for the pointers Stu. Hopefully I can get it into a dealers at some point and get them to locate it and either show me or write it down. Still pi***d they didnt have any information on the engine that went in for me. Was hoping to be able to find out if it was the CTHE code or still the CAVE.