Handbrake Platic Cover Slider

Handbrake rubber/plastic track (slider) sticking at the bottom end causing it to buckle/fold.

http://www.briskoda....nd-brake-track/

http://www.briskoda....__fromsearch__1

Has anyone done this recently (or at all) and can advise how difficult it is actually is and how long it takes?

Also if anyone PAID a dealer to do it how much it cost? Or just the cost of the part itself.

Cheers

Si

Edited by SW_VRS_2012

• 3 weeks later...

Well I decided to attempt it and thought I would post some feedback. I used this guide which was fantastic! http://www.briskoda....on-a-jumbo-box/

The job took me about 3 hours to complete. Reading the tutorial above the task would appear fairly simple, and it is, however it is the fiddly bits such as getting things to fit back together correctly that drags it out.

One tip I can recommend though is when doing the plug for the 3.5mm aux head phone jack. I spent around ten minutes trying to get the clip undone to no avail as theres no much room as it sits directly behind a horizontal bracket. So at this point I just left it and carried on through the rest of the guide. Once I was at the last step and the centre console was all loose and ready to come out, I lifted it up a few inches. This then made the aux jack connector MUCH easier to get at and I then managed to get it off in about 3 seconds. PLEASE dont forget about it and end up ripping it off!

Also in the tutorial the centre console isnt fully taken out just the tracking. I however undid the two connectors for the cigarette lighter and central locking switch and took the full thing out. Seen as though I had gone to this much time and effort to completely take it out I thought I may as well put a new part in. This cost me ~ £15 from the dealer inc VAT. It comes as a full unit though as you can see from the photo below of the old one. This job lot just clips into place within the console itself. I put a little bit of grease on the teeth of the new guide so hopefully this won't happen again or at least not for a long time.

Putting everything back together was as you might expect just the reversal of that. The only bit that caused me alot of grief was putting the two carpet side covers back on the centre console. This took me about an hour! I don't know why they wouldnt slot back into place as easiy as they came off but it was one of those when one end is in the other wasnt, then when you put that end it that other end had come back out. I'm not exactly sure how I managed it in the end, just a lot of fiddling and a bit of luck I think. Lastly just dont forget to reconnet the plugs underneath i.e the aux jack, lighter and central locking switch. (ps when you're taking the front ashtray fixture out there is a wire attached to it, which you can see in the photo in the guide, for a tiny little light thats in the ashtray. From the guide photos it looks like that guy has just left it attached and dangled the ashtray in the passenger footwell. I disconnected mine as it just unclips.)

Finally I hope this may give someone else a bit more help in carrying out this task. It is by no means technical or diffcult, just a little fiddly and time consuming. All the 'screws' are in fact T20 torx keys so you will need one of these. I would recommend the allen key type rather than a socket head as space is sometimes limited.

post-95874-0-41834300-1355596833_thumb.jpg

Edited by SW_VRS_2012
  • Like 1

• 3 years later...

Just had mine in for yearly service and MOT. Note says. Handbrake track broken. As I have a warranty to 20/07/2017 I said why haven't you fixed it.

The service manager said it's classed as trim. WTF. Now to me track means a moving part or a fixed unit that a moving part uses. So they should replace it!! 

Perhaps someone could give me a bit of guidance on this please??

There are lots of exclusions in the warranty, I believe interior trim is one of them.

Ask for a copy of the warranty policy and study it to make sure it is listed as an exclusion.

I guess you could argue that the handbrake mechanism might not be classed as trim, best to study the small print of the warranty.

• 4 weeks later...

There are lots of exclusions in the warranty, I believe interior trim is one of them.

Ask for a copy of the warranty policy and study it to make sure it is listed as an exclusion.

I guess you could argue that the handbrake mechanism might not be classed as trim, best to study the small print of the warranty.

Thanks for that!

I went to the Skoda dealer and managed to avoid the service rep. He is one of those that if you cut off the top of his head It would be like a looking at a stick of rock with skoda right through!!

I spoke to his junior who is a good lad! A tech who overheard our chat said we have done two or three of those. He told the lad to book it in!!!!!!

when I took the car in the main service rep was there, Out came the usual patter. We will have to get Skodas Ok on it. I said you have done others! He said Skoda is tightening up on this type of work. I told him I have a lot of VW ownership clout and I will be on Skodas case today! And I still have nearly a years warranty left.

Got a phone later to say the car was ready! When I got there said to the rep got the permission then? He mumbled into his paperwork!!! Plonker. The lad was finishing off the Skoda invoice . it would have cost £88. Wow that much???? All is now good!!

• Like 1