How to replace/ repair your handbrake gaiter on a jumbo box

Chrispy

• 2 weeks later...

Oh dear..why have ordered these parts? New hand brake trim, mine is worn and looks really tatty and my central locking switch has given up the ghost unless you mash it 20 or so times.

I can see this going wrong :(

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

For central locking switch just spray lots of contact cleaner into the switch or remove and clean, mine works perfect again.

This is a great guide, I couldn't figure out how to remove the carpet trim until now.

Mine has literally only just wrinkled up on the underside of the handbrake in exactly the same place as in photo #10, so I took the jumbo off, had a look, pulled the strip out, flipped it round and it works fine again. :) Can't reeeeally notice it's got a ripple on the top side unless you look and should keep me going until the underside goes again, then i'll buy the part and i've saved myself buying it several times!

Dealer said it's an hour's labour to replace (which is a bit ridiculous since I can now get a jumbo in & out in under 30 minutes, possibly 20, easily) and the part is about £16, although I presume it'll be the whole gaitor unit with the track already in it which just clips in & out, very easy. It's just a plastic housing which the track slides around in; you'll understand if you take the jumbo off. There's two pairs of snap clip things either side, one middle, one back, and a pair of sideways lugs at the front. I found that the easiest way to get it out is my kind of bending the lugs out at the front and twisting/brute force to get the clips to overcome their seating positions. Refitting is simply snapping it back in. Easy.

Edited by blackspaven

Hmmm, must be getting slower in my age... in the other thread on this I was obviously confident of getting the jumbo out in under 10 minutes and another 10 for refitting! Memory failing. :blush:

Still, at least i'm quicker than Holroyd at doing it. :giggle:

Edited by blackspaven

• 1 year later...

I had the same problem with the rubber slider sticking almost solid. I put a straw on a tin of silicon spray (back to black type stuff) and poked the straw in between the rubber slider and the plastic surround. Gave it a quick scoot on each side and worked the handbrake up and down for a couple of minutes. It was much better.

After a day or so the silicon worked its way in and it has been better that new ever since. That was several months ago. I think I will just give it a scoot once a year to be on the safe side.

Much easier than taking the whole thing out.

Cheers

Dave

Edited by FatblokeVRS

• 1 month later...

Mine has literally only just wrinkled up on the underside of the handbrake in exactly the same place as in photo #10, so I took the jumbo off, had a look, pulled the strip out, flipped it round and it works fine again. :) Can't reeeeally notice it's got a ripple on the top side unless you look and should keep me going until the underside goes again, then i'll buy the part and i've saved myself buying it several times!

Dealer said it's an hour's labour to replace (which is a bit ridiculous since I can now get a jumbo in & out in under 30 minutes, possibly 20, easily) and the part is about £16, although I presume it'll be the whole gaitor unit with the track already in it which just clips in & out, very easy. It's just a plastic housing which the track slides around in; you'll understand if you take the jumbo off. There's two pairs of snap clip things either side, one middle, one back, and a pair of sideways lugs at the front. I found that the easiest way to get it out is my kind of bending the lugs out at the front and twisting/brute force to get the clips to overcome their seating positions. Refitting is simply snapping it back in. Easy.

Anyone know the part number for the handbrake rubber slider and housing if it comes with this please. Will try silicon spray as someone suggested too as it is getting really bad.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi, seems that the pictures have disappeared :(

Other that that, this is just a spot on guide what I am trying to do.

The gaiter in my ´08 Scout seems to be broken.

Any possibility to get the pics back?

• 10 months later...

I also tried to disassembly the console, and  I messed everything up. I could not find all the screws, I bent some points and cut some carpets...

I would really appreciate some pictures, if someone had them...

Thank you a lot.

Good to find everyone.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...