Yeti antenna - switch for Superbe shark fin/tooth antenna ?

macster

Hello all,

I've got a bit of a clearance problem in my underground parking garage and wish to swap out my antenna for the Skoda Superbe shark fin or tooth like one, which is shorter.

Anyone have any info as to the feasibility of this ?

Thanks in advance.

You can buy a 'stubby' aerial for Yeti that works perfectly.

They can be picked up for around £5.00 off eBay.

Agreed! The stubby ones work very well - if you'll excuse the expression, I have a 65mm rubber one. The cheaper ones seem to be aluminium and I didn't want to risk any corrosion with the dissimilar metals. Probably an unfounded concern.

However, I refit the original when I go up to Mull as in the very poor reception areas up there, the original does hold onto the FM signal for slightly longer.

• Like 1

Hello all,

I've got a bit of a clearance problem in my underground parking garage and wish to swap out my antenna for the Skoda Superbe shark fin or tooth like one, which is shorter.

Anyone have any info as to the feasibility of this ?

Thanks in advance.

The shark fin is for sat nav equipped vehicles - I have one on my Yeti, but it still has an aerial.

8242976096_236140e69e_b.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone, for your interesting answers. I had seen the stubby extension already, but I really am interested in the Superbe antenna, which has no upward extension.

I have the one as illustrated by rockhopper, since I have the sat-nav on the Elegance model.

The Superbe antenna is a molded model, with no upward extension, and is compatible with sat-nav, since as you know it is the upscale model.

E-bay selling a 'genuine' Skoda short antenna for £15 (+£1.10 P&P) ITEM No

170857004476 so it should fit.

Manufacturer part no is 6R0035849

Edited by kibby

Thanks everyone, for your interesting answers. I had seen the stubby extension already, but I really am interested in the Superbe antenna, which has no upward extension.

I have the one as illustrated by rockhopper, since I have the sat-nav on the Elegance model.

The Superbe antenna is a molded model, with no upward extension, and is compatible with sat-nav, since as you know it is the upscale model.

But doesn't the superb have an antenna in the rear side window? Which is why it doesn't need the stubby aerial.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But doesn't the superb have an antenna in the rear side window? Which is why it doesn't need the stubby aerial.

Beat me to it!!! I seem to recall a post here some time ago that said the Yeti has a radio signal booster built into the rear window heating element too.

Edited by speedsport

Beat me to it!!! I seem to recall a post here some time ago that said the Yeti has a radio signal booster built into the rear window heating element too.

My Yeti has the 8L5 code in the service book

8L5 = Roof antenna and "diversity" window antenna

I am not sure what this means but may well refer to the rear window heating element.

I am pretty certain that the Yeti uses the roof whip antenna for AM and FM, and the heated rear window for FM as well. The two FM antennas are not simply combined, instead the radio chooses between them based on the strength and quality of the signal at any instant. This is called Diversity, and is a real help in difficult reception areas to avoid fades. The switching is rapid and imperceptible. I suspect that if you replace the roof whip with a really short one, you will kill any decent AM reception and degrade FM reception. The diversity switch will probably choose the rear window antenna most of the time.