How many miles?

James I

on just a quarter of a tank of diesel.

I went to Heathrow from St Helens last Wednesday, I set off quite early to give myself enough time in case traffic was bad, it soon became apparent that traffic was surprisingly free flowing.

So I decided to latch onto the back of a truck and sit in the whole he made in the wind and travel at 56 mph all the way to Heathrow.

The result was this.

8241500993_c693812e39_c.jpg

I used a quarter of a tank of diesel, range was 570 miles, distance travelled 202 miles average speed was 59 mph.

all from the 170 tdi Yeti with more than 60k on the clock, every day my Yeti impresses me with something.

Well done and congrats :clap:

Maybe my right foot is too much on the heavy side :(

MacDemon, it took all my will power and restraint not to knock on! I usually do Heathrow in 3 hours, it took an extra 55 minutes at 56 mph.

I usually average 40 to 43 on an average day.

Well done. The 'ordinary' non Greenline diesels are capable of great economy in the right circumstances. :rofl: (pretending it isn't a brick does help.....)

I've not driven mine that slowly for that long, but normally manage about 60/65mph on the motorway, giving me upper 40's, low 50'smpg.

Edited by rockhopper

Plumber, you have set the bar now, I will have to look for a tail wind and big truck to follow to try and beat that :happy: Won't be before xmas though as I have lots to do so that means a lot of travelling.

My best so far (with photographic evidence - apologies for the flare) was the run to the Briskoda/Civinfo Meet at Rishworth on Saturday. 50 miles each way, getting 57mpg there and just under 62 on the way back. No doubt 'helped' by the 50mph limit on the M62 for half the journey. It's not quite as good as it looks, as the winter boots are the smaller 205/55/16s (3.79% smaller rolling circumference) so the reading should be around 59.5.

gallery_80615_568_18048.jpg

The highest, but only on a short run, was on a trip back from the other side of Harrogate - 15 miles from cold and 65mpg - was over 70 for the first 5 miles to Harrogate but it was pretty much downhill all the way :giggle:

The Yeti finally seems to be improving in economy as even with the cold weather it been running around 50 mpg (maxidot) since the last fill-up. Brim to brim was 43.6 (again, having to adjust the mileage for the smaller wheels) which is more what I expected/hoped for. Looking back at the figures for my old 110 TDi Octy I was only getting 46 mpg at around 5000 miles, so being able to get near that in the Yeti is pretty good.

Plumber, you have set the bar now, I will have to look for a tail wind and big truck to follow to try and beat that :happy: Won't be before xmas though as I have lots to do so that means a lot of travelling.

Got this about the same time and mileage as TP, both yetis are 110 and born within 3 weeks of each other. But TP has more hills to get up than me :giggle:

post-52230-0-94908400-1354648722_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not quite sure what the average fuel consumption was today, but my average speed was only 6mph :sad: I think it was in the very low 20's if not teens, and I'm running a diesel :thumbdown:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Must be something to do with a change in driving style but I'm just not getting what I used to per gallon? In my Passat I used to get 58-62mpg (vs manufacturer's claim of 48) and in a couple of yeti 140s and a 170 I got 50+ but in my new 170 I'm only getting 43ish. Even in a Greenline Yeti I had for a month I couldn't break the 100mpg :giggle:

post-96193-0-80445000-1355658844_thumb.jpg

Edited by Devil's Chariot

Must be something to do with a change in driving style but I'm just not getting what I used to per gallon? In my Passat I used to get 58-62mpg (vs manufacturer's claim of 48) and in a couple of yeti 140s and a 170 I got 50+ but in my new 170 I'm only getting 43ish. Even in a Greenline Yeti I had for a month I couldn't break the 100mpg :giggle:

post-96193-0-80445000-1355658844_thumb.jpg

I only average 42mpg in my 140 so 43 isnt too bad when you consider its 4x4 and not particularly areodynamic like a passat.

Like the 98mpg reading though. You have set the bar now so who will come back with over 100mpg.

:smirk:

I think we need some rules for the "best mpg" shown on a maxi dot.

When I go to the low fly loop in Wales, I can start the car when I leave and drive down hill for the first couple of miles and easily get 130+ mpg, so I think if we are looking at the "average mpg" photo on maxi dot we should also see the "journey time" and "average speed"

My first post was for a 200 mile journey, 3 hours driving from St Helens to Heathrow.

• Like 1