CCZA TSI engine noisy water pump seals?

Much is written in their respective forums about water pump issues on Tiguans, Golf GTis', Sirrocos' and other VAG group cars utilising the 2.0 TSI engine. Numerous video clips illustrate what's described variously as a high frequency dog whistle / ringing /tinnitus sound that is a symptom of the problem with the pump seals resulting in replacement. Apart from a couple of threads noting the sound about 18 months ago there appears to be little about failures & water pump replacements on the Briskoda Octy II forum.

Many of the water pumps faults on other VAG cars have occurred on the similar USA/Australian/South American variants (CCTA, CBFA & CAW) of the CCZA engines fitted to FL UK Octavia II since 2009, and at very low mileages (almost new in some cases).

The CCZA must use the same water pump, so does anyone with a recently purchased 2 litre 2012 petrol Octy have the ringing noise at idle when hot or has needed an early warranty replacement of the water pump?

We get the European (ccza) version here in oz.

Nope, haven't had issues myself, nor have I heard much from vw stable. The GTi here comes with the cczb version.

Thanks for the feedback. mine's had something similar since new but sounds to me more like an electrical resonance similar to a high pitched transformer type 'hum'. With so much electronic instrumentation & control gear around that area on the engine its difficult to tell. Not there when cold and seems to come and go sometimes. Only done 600miles and been present since new so assumed was part of the background noise, constant tone not varying with engine speed, hence inclined toward something on the control gear side.

Dealer is a an hour away so not so convenient, but will take it over at some point. Everything works fine otherwise, great car, just irritating niggle really. However don't want the pump failing prematurely in the future.

• 3 months later...

I have a Yeti 118 TSI with this problem. Replaced two pumps so far, and one has been 'repaired' by applying lubricant. On cold start up there is still a noise like a someone with emphysema taking a breath. Trying to get it replaced at the moment.

Edited by BiggusJimmus

• 2 months later...

I have an 09 Vrs Tsi, in consultation now with Skoda UK, vehicle has just done 23k. High pitched whine like a dry idler gear moreso when the engine is hot,initially thought to be the aux water pump but not the case now.

Fingers crossed for a happy ending !

• 2 years later...

I have an 09 Vrs Tsi, in consultation now with Skoda UK, vehicle has just done 23k. High pitched whine like a dry idler gear moreso when the engine is hot,initially thought to be the aux water pump but not the case now.

Fingers crossed for a happy ending !

Hi

Did you find out what was causing the noise in the end? :)

• 1 month later...

Yes, the water pump was replaced along withy a good will gesture of 60% by Skoda UK, hope this helps. The aux pump was initially replaced but the main pump was leaking slightly.