Combi tailgate misting and freezing inside

Does anyone else experience excessive misting on the rear tailgate when left parked over night and if we have a frost then freezes inside on the bottom half of the window?

Rear demist takes about 90 mins of driving to completely clear pressing the button again and again to keep the demist on.

Is this due to the large volume of air in the car? Or do you think i might need to start looking for water ingress?

Side windows near mist up at night or during the day.

Front screen does mist also half way up but keep the air con on max for 2mins to clear most except the vents dont go full width so takes about another 5mins of journey with max to clear the sides, then leave on screen only to keep clear.

Reminds me of my old 1960's MGB GT thought skoda's ventilation might of advanced a bit more, its like taking a step back in time with de-icing and misting compared with the rest of the cars technology that can stream music etc.

Any comments, suggestions what to look for or is this normal???

Have not had this problem in any of my previous cars for about 15 years, thought this sort of problem had gone away and been engineered out of most other modern cars i have driven up until now apart from my 2012 skoda!!

It's certainly not normal. Do you have the air con on all the time? If you do and it is as bad as this, there's definitely water getting into the car somerwhere. If you don't, some misting is usual, especially if recirculate is set on (or auto), but again not as bad as you say - does anywhere feel damp?

Hi,

I don't think this is normal. Certainly my Combi SE dimists the back window pretty quickly - even with the dog panting in the boot!

I suspect you have some water/damp somewhere at the back of the car.

Have you checked the spare wheel compartment? I have a towbar fitted to my car and I found ealier this year that the spare wheel compartment had a considerable amount of water in it. It was being forced in from underneath, in the area between the spare wheel compartment and the bumper, through an ill-fitted grommet around wiring for the towbar. Cured with ducktape and now dry. Might be worth checking there.

Cheers

Paul R T

Have dealer tow bar fitted, just checked spare wheel well. This is dry and incoming electrics have been taped by dealer looks a good job.

Does not have sunroof.

Rear wash seems to work ok but not checked any pipes.

Did notice that when i changed the tailgate internal lights to led that one of the old light bulbs (6 months old) have a slight bit of surface rust but bulbs have not blown.

Run the car with AC on all the time on windscreen at 19 deg to stop misting, do not use recirc or auto

Carpets feel dry under rubber mats front and back.

Do not keep anything wet in boot.

Any more thoughts?? Good suggestions so far never thought of checking the tow bar but this is not it?

Air con does make a bit of a ticking noise

Do i get the dealer to check the pollen filter to see if it is wet and pumping in damp air.

• 2 weeks later...

I started with this problem, got gradually worse, progressed to water in spare wheel of 4x4 combi with panorama roof. After a rainy downpour and taking first exit on a roundabout I got a face full of cold water out of the sunglass holder!

What the... Turns out Skoda didn't fit rigid enough drain pipes in the panoramic roof. No recall, but garage did replace pipes, took out the carpet and dried the Elegancer under warranty. Beware!