Revs when stationary

briwy

Sat in the Yeti (140 diesel) this morning revving it to get it warm and it wouldn't rev above 2500.

As soon as we were mobile it revved up OK and ran fine.

Is this normal? Anyone else had this?

Is this some built in safeguard to prevent over-revving with no load, if so how does it affect the MOT when diesels I've had in the past had to be revved hard for the test?

Is this some built in safeguard to prevent over-revving with no load, if so how does it affect the MOT when diesels I've had in the past had to be revved hard for the test?

^^This. I think it is mentioned in the manual. As to the MOT I'm not sure - the question has cropped up a few times, but the last time I saw it mentioned was before the first Yetis were due an MOT. I'd be interested to find out (though academic for me at present as mine is only six months old (today :party: )

Max revs on 1.8TSi when stationary is 3500rpm,

Max revs if off road mode is selected: .2000 - 2500rpm (depending on model year).

Officially, motorsport noise tests should be at 75% of max revs, taken 0.5m from exhaust at 45degrees from the exhaust, at a height of 0.5m to 1m from the ground, in open space with no large reflecting objects (walls etc) within 3m.

Unfortunately, not every environmental scrutineer does it by the book and, particularly at track days, some have their own ways of doing things and won't be persuaded that they are wrong. Track days of course are not run to MSA regulations, so the scrutineer can merely say that the venue insists that they do it a particular way, and there's no right of protest. .