2.0 FSI Octavia exhaust amber warning lamp

Good day

I recently bought my first Skoda after driving VW and Audi all my life and i love this vehicle. Goes very good in about a foot of snow here in Sweden, But a few days ago one evening when it was -15 a amber warning lamp looking like a small engine lit up on the dashboard."Control system for exhaust" ( owners manual ). Now i do pre heat the car and engine before driving and i put 98octane fuel into it, its done 99 700km. Now i have tried to find some information but most relates to the diesel engines and mine is petrol. Before taking it to the dealers i would like to have your expert opinion. We don't do a lot of driving maybe 50km per day city driving not motorway.

Any guidance would be appreciated

Regards

2005 Octavia 4x4

2.0 FSI petrol

The pressure sensor is only for diesels with a particulate filter.

The warning light means that a fault has been logged in the engine management system that could affect the exhaust emissions. Coil packs are a known weakness on the petrols, is your car running OK, not misfiring or running roughly?

You need to get the car read for any fault codes, it could be something minor.

There was a warranty recall for coilpacks on the petrol vrs - maybe covers yours too. I've had mine done and funnily enough had the exhaust sensor light come on a few weeks ago too. Problem cleared when a reset was done - no fault found. I put it down to filling up with cheap asda fuel instead of its usual v-power.

• 1 month later...

This same problem happened to me on three occasions in the past 18 months. On the first two occasions (September 2011 and June 2012) I stopped the car, turned off the engine and then restarted the engine. On both occasions the amber engine light went out and the vehicle continued to function fine. The third occasion was on 28 January 2013 and I took it to a very reliable local garage who looked after my volvos, meganes etc brilliantly for 20 years. Now they have taken on Skodas! (I no longer take my car to Skoda dealerships for servicing or repair - too expensive, slapdash and unreliable). The car underwent a diagnostic scan with LAUNCH cREADER V which revealed that the car was running too rich (code PO172 present) and that this was due to a lazy O2 sensor. The system has been reset and the light has now gone. However it might occur again and I have been informed that a new sensor might be the best solution, even though it might cost between £200 to £300. BUT I have also been advised that it might be possible to clean the sensor but I need to undertake further research. Watch this space! Also, and this might just be a coincidence, on each of the three occasions that the amber engine warning light had come on, I had just filled up the petrol tank to the limit (I always use the highest octane) usually at Tescos but on each of the three occasions I filled up at an Esso garage!! Coincidence or what? I love my VRS.

Best wishes to all Octavia drivers.