Filling from almost empty (TSi)

Some months back I stopped for petrol when I was running on fumes (<15 miles left - roughly 1.5 litres). Trying to fill the tank on that occasion was difficult because the pump kept "kicking" off as the fuel built up in the neck of the tank rather than flowing in to the empty tank. I put it down to a faulty nozzle at the petrol station, drove home on what I had managed to get in and then filled at another petrol station the next morning.

The same thing happened again yesterday. Less than 20 miles of petrol left, different petrol station - one I've used numerous times - this time I could see the petrol sitting in the top of the filler neck and slowly drain, without bubbles from the tank coming out, down in to the tank.

Anyone else have this problem ?? Off this morning to see if I can fill the tank at normal speed. Is there a breather outlet somewhere that needs cleaning ?

It is the same for all, I have the diesel and when there is "no miles" left on the range indicator I still struggle to get more than 53-54 litres in.

Not sure that that is what the OP is saying, Danny. He seems to be having a problem getting any fuel in at all.

OP, please confirm so we can comment accordingly........

Yes the problem is getting any fuel in when it is empty. Tried different angles on the filler nozzle, not as a far a 9 o'clock, but normally there is no problem at all - only when I have run the tank down the "fumes". Back inv an hour, just going to try filling up again, after getting 10 litres in yersterday and have driven it around a little.

Oddly enough I had a similar problem last night on my diesel when filling up from just under a quarter of a tank. I could not fully depress the nozzle trigger because it would "click" off. I had to hold it just under which of course meant it took a slightly longer time to fill. Never noticed this before, but that said I usually top up when the diesel level drops to half a tank.

Wonder if there is a problem with an anti-syphon device in the filler pipe? Can't figure out a reason why it should be tank level dependent, unless there is some sort of air-locking going on.

it might be something to do with the car having two tanks there is a small tank on the nearside i think that holds twenty liters and on the drivers side another tank with 40 liters, also there is no anti siphoning device in the tank.

bill

• 5 months later...

Had this exact problem today, been to Cornwall and back filled up twice while away no problems, got home yesterday and went to fill today from nearly empty and couldn't get the petrol in, took 5 mins to get 5 ltrs in, thought it was pump, went to do some visiting and thought I would try a different pump on way home, same thing, 10 mins to squeeze 10 ltrs in. Did the OPs problem just disappear and not return? Thanks

• 3 years later...

BUMP!! My car refused to take any fuel after a 400km drive yesterday. Managed to fill 15 liters in about 10 min! Tried again today from another pump and the same problem. An solution for this?

BUMP!! My car refused to take any fuel after a 400km drive yesterday. Managed to fill 15 liters in about 10 min! Tried again today from another pump and the same problem. An solution for this?

Googled some and it might be a plug somewhere in the evap system or solenoid that needs replacing.