Is my suspension on its way out?

lewyvrs

My 2003 Octavia Vrs has got just over 51k on the clock, and within the last few weeks the car seems to be handling like a bag of sh** e.

It has a standard suspension set up with the only upgrade being a whiteline RARB. I fitted new Toyo Proxes recently, and I know theyre probably not the best in the wet, but my confidence in the car has been totally undermined. It seems to skip all over the road at reasonable speeds, and sometimes I feel like the back end is skidding out.

I've been under the car, jacked it up and can see no play anywhere. Does anyone think that the tyres are are playing a part in the crud handling or am I missing something? I know the car is 9 years old, but wasn't driven hard by the previous owner and I've only done 7k in the last year.

Can anyone point me in the direction of any checks I can do before throwing a boat load of cash on a new suspension setup?

Cheers in advance

Lewy

Mine's a 04 plate with 65k on the clock and the suspension is shot to ****! :(

The previous owner seemed to take really good care of it too, as it's in excellent condition inside and out, full service history and bills for everything. But it's properly soft, not tight at all and does skip around a lot. That's on brand new Michelin Pilot Sport 3's too!

So as I am planning on keeping the car, it's a full set of bushes and new suspension for me.

Edited by NathanF1

Mine has just this minute been booked in for a complete suspension refresh. Albeit standard shocks and springs, but should still make a massive difference. That and new bushes, plus front and rear ARB upgrades and a stage 1 map when I've moved insurers in a few months should make it like a new car!

Now I just have to hope I don't need a new wife when the current one finds out :)