New vrs?

The whole debate about petrol v diesel is swings and roundabouts imho.

I have been driving for nearly 25 years. All my cars have been petrol. But I am now awaiting delivery of a diesel Blackline estate. My annual mileage is low, 6,000pa but why did I do this?

• wanted new and only diesel available now
  • Blackline added extras which were 'free'
  • VAT offer
  • £500 off through VW Finance and three 'free' services
  • tax disc less for the diesel
  • 30% more mpg than petrol
  • diesel less 'frantic' than petrol version http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/skoda/octavia/20787/vrs-estate
  • diesel better suited to everyday urban driving http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/skoda/octavia/20787/vrs-estate
  • friend traded in petrol VRS and he was royally spanked by the dealer for having a large petrol engine
  • think the diesel will be easier to move on in a few years
  • Thatcham insurance rate lower than the petrol (for me this doesnt make much difference)

I like the look of the current vrs and was wanting a car with poke. I am not looking for a sports car but if I did then I would want petrol I am sure. I've got a young family and am not looking to charge everywhere but would still like the power to overtake when safe to do so, especially if the car is loaded up with family and dogs

Same as me. If the Blackline was available with both engines I might have had it in petrol. Based on the fact I have had both engines in the Leon FR both are great. However there was not choice and the free kit and the deal makes it a no brainer. So I get a nice quick ish motor that I can get the band gear in and get good mpg between gigs - result

Thats probably about right. New car PCPs are usually a bit better as you get a better rate and the residual value is often a bit stronger.

Bear in mind that the mileage allowance only really comes into play if you hand the car back to VWFS at the end of the term, you wont pay excess mileage if you buy it or trade it in at the end of the term.

So long as the car is clean and mileage isnt ridiculous the trade in value of the car should still be more than the guaranteed value (as this is set very low) so you really shouldnt find yourself in negative equity (i.e dealer should offer you more than the balance left on the finance) come trade in time unless the car really is a miley bag of bolts.

Everyone does things differently but i tend to take a 10k per year term to keep the monthly cost down and take the risk on the excess mileage and GFV front, rather that than pay over the odds for a mileage allowance ill probably not use and keep the cash in my own pocket.

Im not saying this wont bite you where it hurts if you get it wrong but it shouldnt if you play the game.

Edited by pipsyp

Good point about restting the mileage, though am not sure whether I'd buy it outright, or part ex again.

It's moot though as I want to have a clear understanding on two points before I go ahead with anything:

- Guarantee that tensioner failure will be covered under the warranty agreement

- Remapping will not affect any claim for tensioner failure (or any other failure that cannot be directly attributed to the remap)

TBH, if they can't then I'm walking away and going to look at something else...

Good point about restting the mileage, though am not sure whether I'd buy it outright, or part ex again.

It's moot though as I want to have a clear understanding on two points before I go ahead with anything:

- Guarantee that tensioner failure will be covered under the warranty agreement

- Remapping will not affect any claim for tensioner failure (or any other failure that cannot be directly attributed to the remap)

TBH, if they can't then I'm walking away and going to look at something else...

I shouldnt worry too much about the tensioner failure issue, yes its a known problem but itll be plain bad luck if this did occur, your car is v new after all. I actually dont think reading horror stories on this forum helps to ease any fears thats for sure but I wouldnt consider the problem "common". There are alot of people out there with TSis that just run like clockwork.

If you are at all worried about the problem occuring and it not being covered by warranty then really dont; my only advice would be to not remap the car at all, or if you do wait until the warranty has expired. That way you give Skoda no argument.

It's done. Bit sad really to see the old boy go (for a remapped tfsi could never be a girl) someone at the auction is going to get a bargain express. Hope they look after him, one of the best, certainly most fun cars I've had.

Looks like I will have to wait for remapping the new one, dealer to be fair was open with me, and unsurprisingly advised don't do it if I wanted to avoid the hassle of arguments if there was a problem. No surprise there, but I want to keep them onside so the pragmatic approach will be to leave it for a while so any obvious faults manifest themselves before I modify it. Welcome to slowsville!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

• 3 weeks later...

Settling in nicely, tensioner hasn't failed wow bonus! Just drove back from West Wales, set the cruise to 70 and quietly cruised back in 2 hours, returned 40.3 mpg even with the odd bit of 3rd gear shennanigans. I miss the noise from the pre-FL, but the rest of the changes are an improvement.

• Like 2