Dual Mass Flywheel on it's way out?

Doesn't seem to be rattling, but on occasions when pulling away the car seems to lurch forwards as if a some free play in the transmission has suddenly been taken up.

Also, if I turn the engine off without the clutch depressed there is a bit of a thud from the passenger side of the car, but this does not happen if the engine is turned off with my foot on the clutch.

Does this sound like the DMF is on it's way out?

Car has currently done 129k miles, but this is increasing at around 500 miles per week.

If I need to change the flywheel, would I be better to go for a solid flywheel?

ECP do a conversion kit, but having heard a Fabia vRS with a single mass flywheel at idle, I am wary about putting one on a diesel. Has anyone fitted a SMF to an ASV engined Octy?

Sorry to hijack the thread but.........

Oh bugger, I just bought Andy's (Polo1600) old Fabia VRS and it's doing this at almost every stop....It's running a single mass flyweheel from Jabba (I think) and should only have <10,000miles on it!

Do you know what this is a symptom of? Surely it shouldn't be fubbarred yet

Nah thats a good motor mate, its set up correctly and being smf they DO NOT FAIL!!!

Clutch judder will just be a thing mate not a fault with that one. Does it judder just pulling away???

And to the \OP, it sounds like it may be starting but i had mine knocking for 30k miles and it still never failed when i changed it

You sir have completely set my mind at rest :happy:

The easiest way to describe it is a variable clutch bite point, sometimes it's near the floor and and surges as you come to a stop then others it's at a decent height and no surge...very strange.....& pretty vibey when on boost....

Cheerss Lofty79!

no probs its the poly bushes etc making it vibrate.

surging is the idle of the engine being very strong, I sense you had a petrol car before????? If you leave clutch up when coming to a stop and push down at last second, the idle will try to pull on, you dont get that in a petrol

No judder from standing start, just that occasional feeling that there is some movement in the drive train that shouldn't be there.

I will have a listen to it at start up, but there is definitely a thud as I turn the engine off without my foot on the clutch.