Apple Ipod

If it's making a farty noise, you can get it swapped under warranty.

My passenger side rattles, I have a small crack in the grille that might be causing it, or it might be a misfitting of the trim where I ran the changer cable...something I'll need to have a look at... :D

Rob.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm going to have a look a lunchtime to see whats going on with it.I've refitted it a couple of times and made sure it's not the plastic covering for the door (still rattles when you hold the cover/take it off).I just hope I've not chucked the receipt for it out!

Cheers

Hugh

Hi Rob,

Should Halfords just give me a new pair of speakers should I take them back or do I have to deal with Pioneer directly as it is a warranty issue? I've had them now for about 3 months and not sure where I stand on this, as usually I've either been happy with a product or taken it back within the first few days of owning it if something was wrong. I'm kind of expecting a 'we'll send them away to get them looked at' sort of answer rather than 'here's a new pair to try!'.

Sorry if this is another timewaster question it's just I'm not really looking forward to dealing with Halfords (heard a few horror stories etc).

Cheers

Hugh

Oh, right, yes, I remember, you've swapped your fronts for Pioneers...I was trotting out the old Skoda-speaker-broken line... ;)

What I would do if I were you:

1) Have a look at the cone, check for rips, etc. This would be what makes a farty noise and would be a case for warranty. I think it would be pretty unlikely though...

2) While you've got the speaker grille off, run the system at volumes you normally notice the noise at - see how far the driver moves forward, as it might be hitting the grille.

3) Check the mounting for the speaker is good and tight, and it's not rattling against the door due to a loose screw.

4) If these bring up nothing, get fiddling with your trim. :)

Oh, and empty your door pockets... ;)

Rob.

thanks, Rob.

Most of that has been tried already except looking at modding the trim. I'll leave going to Halfords just now and try out that and removing the coins, tin cans and some nuts and bolts from the door pocket.....lol

Cheers

Hugh

It's amazing what you can find in a door pocket! lol

I think my rattle is not something terminal it just needs a bit more time than the 10 minutes I have given it so far. It seems to be consistent with deep bass but it is obviously something unique to that side as the driver's one is fine. Did you remove the foam around the speaker housing when you fitted yours,mine is still there but I'm thinking of removing it?

Cheers

Hugh

I've already chucked away the carpet puddings at the rear and I think I noticed a difference (could be the new speakers though.........).I'm going to basically re-install the rattly speaker and look over it for any potential problems as you mentioned.At this point I think I'll remove the foam stuff too and see if that improves or makes a difference to the sound quality.

Cheers

Hugh

Hi Rob,

Speaker now re-installed,I noticed some Skoda insulating tape (covering the speaker wires) had not been cut away (I wonder who did that....?) so removed it and the foam surround then re-fitted it.As far as I can tell it is now sounding mighty fine without a rattle but will gain a better listen tomorrow.I also removed the foam from the drivers side speaker too , sound quality seems a bit more 'spikey' and not so dull to my ears but that's just my opinion.

Cheers

Hugh

Removing those foam cups will give you more reverberation through your door, so it might sound a bit harsher and louder - fiddling with your head unit settings should be able to take out some of this harshness while keeping the loudness, and it makes it a lot easier to hear... :)

Had the pleasure of helping Paul (ffelan) install some 6x9 speakers in the rear parcel shelf...who would've thought there would be metal in it? :rolleyes:

Rob.

Forgive my ignorance Rob, how did you and Paul get on with that install?Is it just a case of butchering the parcel shelf or do you need to get one made especially?Lastly, with 6x9's is there much of a difference between them and say,as the way I went,replacing the standard rears with upgraded speakers?

Cheers

Hugh

Got them fitted in the end, just need a spot of tidying up. :D

It's just a question of cutting the holes in the parcel shelf, and drilling holes to fit the bolts through. Paul was going to give it a good try and see how it sounds, as it may be beneficial to attach a stiffening piece of wood onto the underside of the parcel shelf to give the speakers something more solid to

screw into.

The 6x9s have more presence than the 13cm replacements, as the bass driver is bigger and there is more tweeter (and of two different sizes usually). I would definitely recommend it if you want to improve your sound and don't mind butchering your shelf... :)

Just make sure you have a saw blade that can cut through metal before you start... ;)

Rob.