What to look out for buying vrs

seanw

• 3 weeks later...

hi folks. i may be going to look at a 04 fabia vrs in the next few days. is there anything other than the normal stuff to watch out for on them?

cheers

How did you get on mate? Did you make the purchase?

I see you didn't get a decent answer to your question, I could list a few things from my experience of buying an 04 if you still need the info?

• Like 1

the 'normal stuff' is really the most important stuff. Namely: full service history (doesn't have to be a dealer history, just as long as it has had the correct service types at roughly the correct intervals, some owners also service the cars themselves which is fine as long as they can prove they have done it, be able to show you a parts invoice or something).

Also just pay attention when driving the car make sure it doesn't judder, shake, clunk or knock anywhere, I'm talking about gearbox, clutch, suspension etc.

If any of the above doesn't add up you should just proceed with caution or else walk away. The 1.9 pd tdi is a solid engine, high mileage is no issue as long as it has been looked after properly.

Anyway on to the common Fabia 1 faults that I am aware of. Mostly minor things that shouldn't really stop you buying the car but if you should spot them you can haggle the price down.

Door leak issue (you'll find info on these forums about it) it should have been fixed by now on an 04 car. Look for black sealant around the edges of the plastic door trim where it meets the painted metal of the car door, that means it has probably been fixed. Ask the seller about it anyway.

Make sure hand brake releases properly, old rear callipers can stick. Its usually an easy fix, clean and lubricate the release mechanism and fit a pair of calliper release springs. Cost a couple of quid.

Check the radio, if the reception is bad on it then the aerial base probably needs replaced, over time moisture gets into it and degrades the connection, it is a powered base.

Spray the rear washer, if no water comes out then one of the hose connections has popped off somewhere. Spray it a bit then get out and look under the car to see where the water is leaking out. Mine was off inside the front passenger wheel arch, took 5 minutes to fix it. It can potentially pop off elsewhere, there is plenty of info on it on these forums.

Check the air con works - mine still doesn't, I'll get around to looking at it, probably just needs re gassed or might need a new condenser.

Rear boot release - make sure boot opens without issue, the mechanism can get sticky over time, on mine I had to press the button and at the same time push down on the boot to get it to open. After a week or so spraying the mechanism with WD40 every day it now opens perfectly

• Like 1

All of the above plus console bushes, drop links, read fault codes if you can, check the coolant hasn't had any additives. More have been mentioned in other threads if you have a search for buying advice etc.

• Like 1

How did you get on mate? Did you make the purchase?

I see you didn't get a decent answer to your question, I could list a few things from my experience of buying an 04 if you still need the info?

No purchase made yet. Sold my car yesterday so I will be going to the UK next week to pick one up all going well. My mate who is a mechanic is coming with me and is bringing his digonistics machine with him.

I know a good bit about the vw pd diesel after having a vw bora(02) for 2 years and a seat leon fr+ (05) for 3 years.

I have read a lot of threads here that have been helpfull and I suppose I should have said that in my op.

I rang about one in London today. Says the car has a FSH. It has 137k on it and looks very clean.

If you have anything to add please do. The more info I have on them the better!!

Also a big thanks to mostly all above who put up some helpfull info.. I'm sure I will have loads of other questions if I buy it..