Fuel pump relay, which one is it?

Hi

After Mogwye helped me on this forum to locate the relay carrier I decided on this cold January night and would try to replace the fuel pump relay thinking it was in position number 15 or 4 from what I had read online on forum posts i had found, ...only problem is there are only 3 relays in position 5, 11 and 12. It was obviously not 12 as that is much larger than the replacement I was given however I thought 5 had the same rating yet when I took it off I could see that the pins were actually located differently (see second pic). I think i have been given the wrong relay unless somebody thinks it may be number 11 instead? that only seemed similar in size though............any ideas??

IMAG0151_zps8b14a469.jpg

IMAG0149_zps00572579.jpg

Ok still yet to change this damn relay, just spoke to skoda and they can't tell me which location it is either! Only that it will be labelled 410 or 4/167 and its a hefty £62 from them!

On the flip side my gf is adamant that the stalling problem (which I suspect is the relay) only occurs when the fuel tank is low?!......not sure how that makes sense unless it's too do with pressure in the line and the fuel filter but if anyone knows any better then please shout. My guess is it's just coincidence.

On my mpi, I think it was in the top right hand corner. Had the same symptoms, changed the relay, didn't fix it. As you mentioned it only happens with low fuel, mine started that way, got worse and worse. Was the pump itself. Think the fuel keeps it cool. No fuel, no cool, cuts out. Got a pump off ebay for ~£20 fitted in 5 minutes. Been fine since.

On my mpi, I think it was in the top right hand corner. Had the same symptoms, changed the relay, didn't fix it. As you mentioned it only happens with low fuel, mine started that way, got worse and worse. Was the pump itself. Think the fuel keeps it cool. No fuel, no cool, cuts out. Got a pump off ebay for ~£20 fitted in 5 minutes. Been fine since.

That's interesting, its done 105,000 miles so may be the problem, when you replaced the relay how did you identify it or did you have a garage do it? Im thinking the relay i have at the minute is only £6 so might as well fit it (providing it is the fuel pump relay I am replacing!). I will have a look at replacing the fuel pump if that doesn't solve it.

Mine had done less than 45k. I think I identified it by downloading the skoda manuals from mediafire. Changed it myself, relay was in the top right hand corner. Can't remember the number, think it was 409 but bought a generic one.

2jepfh2.jpg

Mine had done less than 45k. I think I identified it by downloading the skoda manuals from mediafire. Changed it myself, relay was in the top right hand corner. Can't remember the number, think it was 409 but bought a generic one.

2jepfh2.jpg

ok thanks for the picture, its slightly different from mine but good to know you have done the same. I found a skoda servicing document online that said it would be position 15 or 5 which would be the one I was planning to replace. going tofit it tomorrow and hopefulyl that will sort it, if not then its the pump that is up for the swap!

• 2 weeks later...

oh but one more thing, my gf told me that the fuel meter now goes up when she uses fuel?! how is this happening? the sender unit can't be put wired up the wrong way because of the shape of the fitting can it?

Happy to help.

Sounds like we bought our pumps from the same seller. My guage is backwards too. Doesn't bother me much. But I guess in theory you can reverse the wires. Look at the old pump and see which two wires are connected to the float sender, then swap them in the plug, saves taking the pump out again.

Ha ha how weird is that?! my guess is that maybe the pump is serviced and reassembled wrongly so I was planning to do what you suggested and swap the wires over at the plug, just told the gf to just keep it topped up in the meantime

Cheers for your help

Christ after a week of being fine the bloody thing is cutting out again. How come changing the pump seemed to fix it for a week yet now it's playing up again?! Wondering if it may be something else now.

Car almost stalls when pulling away so maybe that may be somewhere to look at. Air flow meter problems perhaps?

It's a good idea to change the filter straight away to rule it out. If it's like the mpi filter it has a built in pressure regulator. Could be bad, filter could be what caused the original pump to go bad, could also be a faulty new pump. Had it happen on a focus. That's the risk of buying used parts. Change the filter, if it's still happening message the seller and ask for another pump.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Hi

After Mogwye helped me on this forum to locate the relay carrier I decided on this cold January night and would try to replace the fuel pump relay thinking it was in position number 15 or 4 from what I had read online on forum posts i had found, ...only problem is there are only 3 relays in position 5, 11 and 12. It was obviously not 12 as that is much larger than the replacement I was given however I thought 5 had the same rating yet when I took it off I could see that the pins were actually located differently (see second pic). I think i have been given the wrong relay unless somebody thinks it may be number 11 instead? that only seemed similar in size though............any ideas??

IMAG0151_zps8b14a469.jpg

IMAG0149_zps00572579.jpg

I ordered one it came today, excatly the same problem, have they sent the wrong relay?