Cooling system different between countries - what's the difference?

vgnils

Hi all,

I've bought a new Citigo in Denmark to save some money (I live in Norway) and I am picking it up in a few days.

Got the VIN from the dealer and decoded it here: http://www.vin-decoder.net/

I did the same thing with the VIN of a Citigo that was sold here in Norway.

This is (some of) what came out:

Danish Citigo:

Climatic zones Standard climatic zones

Engine cooling system Not hot country

Norwegian Citigo:

Climatic zones Cold zones

Engine cooling system Cold country

Do any of you know what the differences may be? Different thermostat?

I can't imagine it will be a problem since cars from further south in Europe are imported to Norway in great numbers each year and they work fine, but it would be nice to know what the differences are. If it's just a matter of a differently tuned thermostat, I may consider changing it.

Thanks!

I just read in the owner's handbook that vehicles that are shipped to cold countries come with more antifreeze in the coolant. Could that be all the difference...?

Edited by vgnils

Possibly. I know some brands do a residual heat storage thingy for really cold countries. A vacuum store that keeps warm coolant for up to 2 days or so for almost instant hot air whenever you drive?!

Dunno if the citigo has that, though...

Never heard of the heat storage thing here in Norway, but sounds like a nice feature!

It seems plausible for cars that are shipped to e.g. Mediterranean countries to have a "hot country" cooling system...but Denmark...?

Oh well - not to worry. I am trusting my Danish Citigo to survive just fine in Norway :)

May I ask how much you saved by buying in DK, and what are the waranty conditions? Enjoy your new Citigo when it arrives :-)

I'm sure the car will be just fine, but you should check the antifreeze before taking it into very cold parts of Norway.

May I ask how much you saved by buying in DK, and what are the waranty conditions? Enjoy your new Citigo when it arrives :-)

Thanks :) The savings are very significant (for a PhD-student like me, anyway :) ); close to 40 000 NOK for a Citigo that is listed at 160 000 NOK in Norway. That includes taxes, bringing it here etc. and an extended factory warranty so that it matches the one in Norway.