Powder coating,remaps and headlight bulbs!

Sorry,multiple answers needed in one topic please!

Has anyone had these mods done? A rough cost would be appreciated, as well as a recommendation of which bulbs to upgrade to! The only cost I have so far is for powder coating the wheels,which came in at £55 per rim inc vat,is that good or bad?!

Also,what hp boost do you get with a remap?

Clueless non techy person here,so please keep answers in plain English ;) Thank you!

• Like 1

£55 per rim seems reasonable. I would always use someone that you have used before of have been recommended too. As for a stage 1 remap on your Octy you are looking at about a 10-15 percent BHP increase.taking you to around the 200 BHP mark. However it's not the BHP figure that puts a smile on your face but the sheer mid range torque increase that's most noticeable.

up in sunny west yorkshire 30 quid a wheel is about right lol :) shark for a map ideally custom and ref the bulb i use ring ultra xenon h4 120% brighter than the oe ones and really good value at 14.99 on ebay item number 400354946899 just match with the 4000k osram 501 led side light bulbs and they look cool too :) as used in mine :)

dump valve , itg panel filter and map be fun for you lass :) i like the handling so eibach anti roll bars s3 front wish bone rear bushes and h and r springs to look stock too and handle ace :p

Edited by dubDEAN
  • Like 1

For the bulbs you can buy Philips Xtreme Vision,they are the brightest and most powerful on the market.

I fitted these, and found the Philips Xtreme are much brighter than std, I got them from these people :- www.Powerbulbs.com. Not sure about them being the brightest tho'

Regarding remapping:- there are usually 3 stages offered by most companies.

Most people on here go to either:-

Stage 1 or Stage 2, and one or two have gone to Stage 3 + (Steeve Wonder)

Stage 1 can take your car from standard 180bhp to approx 205 - 210bhp. (generic map)

Stage 2 is usually customised to your engines ability and is more benificial after you have done a few engine mods (do a few searches to get an idea of what people have done/costs), and could take your bhp up to 220-235 + .To achieve that you are talking big bucks tho' and many happy hours convincing your bank manager its an investment.

Think carefully about handling and braking, the Octy is a big heavy car, its ok being the fastest one off the line but if you lose it on the first bend game over.

There are some really experienced guys on here who are very helpful and knowlegable and have done major work/mods.

NB: Welcome to the Octy Vrs team :thumbup:

• Like 1

headlights are bad on the vrs full stop, so some uprated bulbs as suggested, have used philips or ring in the past which both work, as for map, depends what you want out of the car, a good start to tuning is a map, a rear arb, dogbone mount (this stops wheel hop and helps keep your tyres planted) and of course decent tyres. This is often forgotten, but the vrs, has quite a bit of power, and with cr*p tyres the car will not handle properly or put the power you have down, let alone remap power down. My vote goes to Rtech for the map, they get nothing but good reviews!

£55 for powder coating is fair, £30...Dean thats really cheap!

Edited by Oet

I have seen 'cheap' powdercoated wheels. £120 for 4, wheels only. They were ok but very very dull and not reflective at all. Might be again you get what you pay for. I would always ask to see examples of their work.

Also, your insurance company should be made aware of any remap.

Edited by Liverpool-Lad
  • Like 1

I have seen 'cheap' powdercoated wheels. £120 for 4, wheels only. They were ok but very very dull and not reflective at all. Might be again you get what you pay for. I would always ask to see examples of their work.

as said, i would be cautious, thats too cheap really, especially considering what they charge to remove and refit tyres round here!

Edited by Oet

For powder coating I'd shop around and see examples of their work.

I've used 3 different placed for different car parts previously and they are all good for specific things...

ie, I had some bumper inserts done by one company that do a great job of complete stripping and powder coating in a satin finish. For my wheels I use another company if I want a flat colour, or if I want different finishes (glossy, metallic, laquered etc) there is another company I use.

A good guide for a cheap powder coat is £1-£1.50 per inch, so a set of 17s would work out at £68-£102, typically plus VAT

As for the bulbs, I've known a few people use off the shelf HID kits, but if you're just wanting brighter standard fit bulbs Osram do a good range

Re-maps - as mentioned Shark have a very good reputation, but if you're wanting to increase performance I would always look at improving the brakes and handling first. Then invest in a few sessions track tuition. Seriously, this works out about the same cost as a remap, but improves every part of your driving massively. Much better value in my opinion than a remap in the first instance

Edited by craig180

On Osram Nightbreaker Plus I've got half a mile range on dip beam, and can't find a road long enought to establish the range on main!

Also, I'd agree that the first port of call in "going faster" is advanced driving tuition; try reading the "racing and advanced driving techniques" forum.

as said, i would be cautious, thats too cheap really, especially considering what they charge to remove and refit tyres round here!

lol no done a set already lsn dude awesome or cas coatings i take my own tyres off lol been in motortrade 15 years now i got friends

On Osram Nightbreaker Plus I've got half a mile range on dip beam, and can't find a road long enought to establish the range on main!

Also, I'd agree that the first port of call in "going faster" is advanced driving tuition; try reading the "racing and advanced driving techniques" forum.

C'mon man you bought 2 supernovas and fitted into you headlamps? :giggle::blush:

lol no done a set already lsn dude awesome or cas coatings i take my own tyres off lol been in motortrade 15 years now i got friends

I've used LSN quite a few times before. Neil, who works there used to have his own unit then went back to work for these

CAS are great for the glitter, laquer and glossy finishes and are actually quite cheap

Hehe headlights id throw hid kits into the pot but at the risk of toy ending up out the pram i wont :D

I take it there is quite a strong view on anyone retrofitting HIDs on here??

I take it there is quite a strong view on anyone retrofitting HIDs on here??

thats why i didnt mention them....lol, i have run them in the past without issue, but may go the projector route to help with beam pattern etc if/when i do again

Thanks for all the advice,it's food for thought! My problem is,I've never modded a car before (admittedly,I've never had one worth modding!) and I'm not sure where to start,especially as the outside really doesn't need anything extra to look good!

Also,I'm planning on upgrading to a much newer vRS within the next two years so don't want to do anything that'll make it less appealing to vRS buyers!