1.2 TSI owners look here please

Snowman89

As some of you might have read im having some problems with a rattling noice coming from the engine bay, more specific the turbo/wastegate.

The sound is easiest heard when the car is standing still in neutral, quickly revving up to 3000rpm then just stepping of the accelerator. The sound is then heard when the revs start to descend or after 0,5s after they started descending. Sometimes you have to have the driver window down to hear it clearly.

Since i dont know anyone closeby that actually own a car with a 1.2 TSI engine and the dealer does not have one right now i would be extremly happy if someone could help me with this..

The perfect thing to do if possible:

Make a short recording down the engine bay looking at turbo when performing this revving, full accelerator up to 3000rpm then just step off it.

I imagine it is quite hard to do something like this if you are by yourself but in that case if you just open the driver/passenger door and do the same thing works also.

If someone could do this and post the video here or send it to me it would be very much appreciated!

Im trying to find out if the dealers are just trying to get rid of my by telling me stories or if it is actually true what he is saying that every 1,2 TSI engine has this sound..

erm can someone tell me where the turbo is and I'll see what I can do this weekend :blush:

Its just between the engine and the radiator. Just next to the turbo to the left you should have a silver heatshield.

I can record it with the voice recorder I have and I know how to email the result to an email address. But I don't know how to post it on here. So if you can PM me an email address I'll have a go - or if someone explains how to post it here, I'll have a go at that.

Don't post an email address on here!!!!

I can record it with the voice recorder I have and I know how to email the result to an email address. But I don't know how to post it on here. So if you can PM me an email address I'll have a go - or if someone explains how to post it here, I'll have a go at that.

Don't post an email address on here!!!!

Youve got PM!

As some of you might have read im having some problems with a rattling noice coming from the engine bay, more specific the turbo/wastegate.

The sound is easiest heard when the car is standing still in neutral, quickly revving up to 3000rpm then just stepping of the accelerator. The sound is then heard when the revs start to descend or after 0,5s after they started descending. Sometimes you have to have the driver window down to hear it clearly.

Since i dont know anyone closeby that actually own a car with a 1.2 TSI engine and the dealer does not have one right now i would be extremly happy if someone could help me with this..

The perfect thing to do if possible:

Make a short recording down the engine bay looking at turbo when performing this revving, full accelerator up to 3000rpm then just step off it.

I imagine it is quite hard to do something like this if you are by yourself but in that case if you just open the driver/passenger door and do the same thing works also.

If someone could do this and post the video here or send it to me it would be very much appreciated!

Im trying to find out if the dealers are just trying to get rid of my by telling me stories or if it is actually true what he is saying that every 1,2 TSI engine has this sound..

I have 1.2 TSI just about a year now. And I don't think every 1.2 has that sound. Just once, in a very cold morning I could hear some rattle somewhere in an engine area, but that was about it. And that one time it was, as I think, a chain, and as I was told, it happens in cold. Friend of mine with similar yeti, but 2010, had some rattle and it was about chain. They replaced it under a warranty. But if there is some noise, be sure it is not something each 1.2 has. 1.2 tsi has very silent engine working. Sometimes you hardly can hear it. (hope my English is understandable).

Edited by Jazz Moli

I found this one for you in another topic - one about cold start issue.

Ferisko

27 Feb 2012

There are two known common culprits causing this (cold start rattle, revs dancing up and down, power loss at lower revs):

- old software (2010 cars?)

- worn out / stretched timing chain (which for some series of the 1.2 TSI engines can start to be problematic already at around 10000km. There are even reported cases of the chain "jumping a tooth or two" which results into piston meeting with valve and engine destroyed). Visit service and make them have a look at it.

Please note that some rattle during start is normal. Also the engine normally starts with higher revs (above 1200 rpm), which later drop down to around 650 idle rpm when engine is warmed up.

Edited by Ferisko, 27 February 2012 - 17:41.

But, as I hear, some people have this problems all day long, any time of day, not only in cold starts. By the way, besides chain replacement, a friend of mine had his software updated, as well. No problems after that.

Edited by Jazz Moli