Gruff exhaust on 140 Estate

Picking up my 140 Elegance Estate next week, and on the test drive today I noticed a gruff sounding exhaust at about 1,500 rpm. Sounded to me actually more like a rattle than an engineered exhaust note.

Anyone else experienced this? The salesman said this was normal on the CR engines (but I guess he would, wouldn't he?!).

Car is less than 1 year old and covered less than 10,000 miles.

Ok, so I've managed to reduce the metallic gruffness by some way. I had some multi-layer heat insulation left over from a DIY project I did recently. I took a square of this, wrapped it in aluminium insulation tape and stuffed it behind a pipe that was "secured" by a small plastic holder that was just resting against the bulkhead heat liner. Tapping the heat liner gave a vibrating metallic sound and now my square of multi-layer insulation effectively damps down that vibration.

The air intake connector was also loose, so I've also put a small strip of aluminium insulation tape across the join to secure it to the main housing, to help damp the vibration.

Took it around the block for a spin, and from cold all the way up to hot temp it is all a lot less gruff and metallic sounding when you are at about 1500rpm. There is still a bit of a noise there, but I think that might be the normal sound of the engine now, rather than a vibration/rattle.

Will test it again tomorrow...

Edited by JakeBlade
  • Like 1

Took it out twice today. 1st time ok, 2nd time the metallic sound came back. Popped the bonnet and the strips of ali foil I put on the air intake connector had just ripped in half along the join between air intake housing and the connector.

So I've overlaid 10 strips of ali foil on top of each other this time and will contact my local dealer to show them the next time the tape rips.

Has anyone successfully had their air intake successfully changed under warranty by SUK?

Any chance of a picture Jake.

Here you go: taken this morning before my (noise free) drive to work...

I'm expecting the tape to rip straight down the middle from top to bottom, where the air intake housing (on the right) is supposed to join the elbow connector(on the left). There is a lot of play between the two at the moment.

post-99336-0-61313500-1359967515_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I'm going to give this a go too.

I thought mine was less noisy when the weather was really cold - plastic more rigid perhaps?

Will try it and see. Could you maybe post a pic showing a bit more of the engine bay, so this numpty here can put the tape in exactly the right place :doh:

Cheers

Could you maybe post a pic showing a bit more of the engine bay, so this numpty here can put the tape in exactly the right place :doh:

Will take more pics tomorrow. I think something like gorilla tape or cloth tape will be better than my multi-layers of alu insulation tape, as they will be more resistant to ripping. I've just ordered some cloth tape which I will stick on top of the bed of alu tape I have already put down.

Day 5: still no noise, and tape still intact...

Hey it would be so nice if you could post a pic of how it looks in the end with the super stable tape system you build up.

Looking forward to do the same on mine!

Thank you!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

It looks the same as in the above pics, but now mostly black where I've added the black tape directly over the alu tape. None of the cloth tape is touching the plastic of the air filter assemblies - only the first layers of alu tape are, and that is very sticky stuff indeed. Used it to hang some pretty hefty multi layer insulation on my garage door. But you can tear it easily with your hands - hence I've now put cloth tape on top.

Is yours still rattling?

Yep!

Well, I wouldn't call it a rattle.

Tested it on the motorway - its the low HUMMING / whinning noise again (so the lose air box cover wasn't the cause).....

...I wonder if its just me...and that my humming noise is just normal? :blush:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Dealer checked this today for me. They are ordering a new inlet pipe to be fitted under warranty.

First thing I did when I got home was to replace the tape they removed, to stop the vibrations again.

In my pics above, look at where the metal tape is, and the two bits of the air intake that it is holding together: an elbow joint pipe on the left and a rectangular box on the right. The problem is that they don't fit together very well, and so it is the elbow pipe on the left that they are going to replace to hopefully stop the rattling.

If yours has the same problem then you should notice a lot of play between the two adjoining pieces. This is definitely where my noise is coming from.

I quickly put a couple of layers of carpet tape back on when I got home today. Peace and quiet again...