DSG - I know it's been discussed before but pros & cons please

TJK

Sorry Jonceebee but that is AWFUL! With those big DSG letters on top?!!? Nasty. And the button out front sounds difficult to operate too I'd say...

Truthseeker yes that is what mine looks like - OR what the 140 diesel's look like with the front buttoned one perhaps the 1,2 DSG?

dsgx.jpg

I have done nearly 33,000 miles in 26 months in my 4x4 DSG. It has been brilliant. As I have stated elsewhere over the years, that the software in the latest 'boxes is sooooo much better than the previous 2006 Octavia I had.

I will not drive a manual willingly again.

They do take a while to learn how to drive properly, but it is worth taking the time to learn.

ie stop start, roundabout and junctions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Sorry Jonceebee but that is AWFUL! With those big DSG letters on top?!!? Nasty. And the button out front sounds difficult to operate too I'd say...

Truthseeker yes that is what mine looks like - OR what the 140 diesel's look like with the front buttoned one perhaps the 1,2 DSG?

dsgx.jpg

Yours looks very similar to the one fitted to my neighbours Golf, it is substancially larger in the palm. I think the new style fitted to my 1.2DSG is intended to be similar in the hand to a standard manual gear knob offering a sleeker style. I do agree the DSG lettering is a little over the top, no need for it, they should have put the Yeti logo in there. But I suppose all the shiny plastic on top saves wear on the top side leather.

Hetti (54400 mls now) We Buy Any Car has quoted £13,095 for Hetti! That's what I call keeping its value.....

Just to compare notes - like you I've traded my 52k Yeti in - and found out that the trade price is £14,500 give or take, at that level, so even WBAC is under quoting. You will probably do better at a dealer.

Photo's as requested, sorry about the quality camera phone in bad weather outside

8430347842_d510c78ca1.jpg8430348230_05491d37e8.jpg8429263107_b39f382ef3.jpg

]

Thanks for these. Although I agree that the DSG letters are over the top, I still think it's an improvement on mine, which is a big, clunky, over chromed thing just like Johann's :giggle: I guess it's all down to personal taste.

Let me get this right (speaking as a non DSG owner), does the latest DSG Yeti have the ugly gear lever as per jonceebee's photo, or do they differ between models, and if so when was the change?

IMO it looks like a cheapo after market item from Halfords with that awful "DSG" lettering.

Having said that, I'm not sure about the location of the clock!

The clock is there for "her indoors" who complains that she cannot see the time on the radio like she can on our Octavia. It's self adhesive and keeps falling of the wood trim and usually ends up rolling about where you see it now. One of these days it will no doubt strangely fly out of the window and never be seen again.

Going back to the DSG lettering, perhaps everyone should make their feeling to Skoda about its naff lettering and change it to a new style Skoda logo/ or just Yeti or even 7 Speed. Other than the lettering I like the feel of the glossy top and the forward facing activation button is very easy on the hand.

Regarding the comment from Truthseeker, I can't see Skoda having two types of gear knob for DSG, I would imagine all new models will have the type as mine

Same going up and down hills of course with the cruise control on. You never touch anything bar the steering wheel for mile, upon mile, upon mile as the DSG does the gears as appropriate to keep the speed up and downhill.

This is even more useful in the 1.2 TSI, where it doesn't take much of a hill to require a downshift.

Regarding engine braking, I often travel down a downhill slip road to join a very congested M3, and I notice that whereas everyone else has their brake lights on, I am trickling down nicely in D2 with no acceleration or brake required.

Hi folks

Thank you very much indeed for all you opinions and experiences. Seems overwhelmingly in favour of the DSG, the only query being which knob you get!!!

I've managed to book a test drive in a diesel DGS Yeti on Friday at the York dealer so I'll let you know my impressions and decision.

On my other query re: the best/cheapest place to buy new Yeti, I'll start a new thread on that specifically.

Thanks again. :kiss:

TJK.

Edited by TJK

It must be a recent change, as my Nov 2012 1.2 DSG has a gear shifter like Johann's.

Mine was built week 46 2012 delivered 18th Dec.2012 so I assume it must be an update as I can't see it being a one off. It's certainly caused some interest. Perhaps the next collecter of a DSG model ought to start a new thread on what he/she got on collection.

Hi folks

Thank you very much indeed for all you opinions and experiences. Seems overwhelmingly in favour of the DSG, the only query being which knob you get!!!

I've managed to book a test drive in a diesel DGS Yeti on Friday at the York dealer so I'll let you know my impressions and decision.

On my other query re: the best/cheapest place to buy new Yeti, I'll start a new thread on that specifically.

Thanks again.

TJK.

Will all be pleased to see how you get on with it.

Regarding.... "On my other query re: the best/cheapest place to buy new Yeti, I'll start a new thread on that specifically."........ I think others would advise you to use the search facility (preferably the advanced search)... before posting that one because the topic of where people buy their Yetis from and how much they've paid has been covered ad infinitum - and only recently too.

You'll find the options of your local dealer versus getting quotes from distant dealers (inc. the site sponsor, Prestons) versus brokers including Drive the Deal, auto e bid, buy a car, Carfile....the list is endless.

Will all be pleased to see how you get on with it.

Regarding.... "On my other query re: the best/cheapest place to buy new Yeti, I'll start a new thread on that specifically."........ I think others would advise you to use the search facility (preferably the advanced search)... before posting that one because the topic of where people buy their Yetis from and how much they've paid has been covered ad infinitum - and only recently too.

You'll find the options of your local dealer versus getting quotes from distant dealers (inc. the site sponsor, Prestons) versus brokers including Drive the Deal, auto e bid, buy a car, Carfile....the list is endless.

Too late... you've posted it.