Getting fed up with fast tickover speed

Car is 1.6 tdi cr diesel Octavia

It has always had a problem with intermittent idle running at 1000 as against the normal 800.

Sometimes the engine will quite simply not tick over at 800,it does not matter how far you drive, how fast, the engine can be hot or cold, you can turn it off then back on, turn all the electrical devices off, it will simply not tickover at a normal 800.

I do not believe it is trying to regen. I have been in the car when this happens the tickover is a bit lumpy the fans come on and the engine smells got on the outside.

I have recently driven nearby 150 miles non stop on a quiet motorway only to pull up for fuel to find it ticking over at 1000.

My main dealer has checked it over and can't find anything wrong atall

Any ideas, is yours the same?

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Similer problem witn my 1.6 TDI SE 2012 . Try this and let me know how you go on turn blower fan off drive few hundred yards stop and see what RPM's are mine settles at 750 ish. Turn fan on drive again and stop RPM's settle at 1000 ish. Bit strange still in process of checking this but seems to do it every time, had car back to dealers and they say nothing wrong. Once car is up to full temp everything is ok.

Well lift work tonight temp outside was 0 deg lift fan in off position revs on start up approx 1000 rpm everytime i stopped after that revs fell to 750 rpm. I am now conviced if i turn the fan on idle speed will sit at 1000 rpm untill engine gets to full temp, I understand turning equipment on puts more load on car but skoda say car will idle at 1000 rpm until it gets up to temp so why does it drop to 750 when fan is off and engine is cold?