Superb 1.8tsi dsg elegance combi

I am thinking of buying a new 1.8tsi dsg combi elegance,I currently have a 2.0 litre 140 dsg hatch,but because my mileage has dropped right off and concerns about the DPF problems that could occur in the future would like to know what sort of Mpg I could expect to get,appreciate any comments.

In the first 7,000 miles I've averaged 35 mpg (uncalibrated MFD reading). Motorways at 70 (cough) mph delivers 35mpg, A roads at 50-60mph this rises to 38-39mpg. To be honest, anything other than crawling through Central London seems to be 33+ mpg.

• Like 1

I've had mine for 6 months now (Twindoor) and the Maxidot is showing average of 38.8 MPG since then. I do understand though that the maxidot is about 7% optimistic.

• Like 1

Hi,To give you an idea of my mileage,I have only covered 7940 miles in two and a half years,I have been suffering from poor health since I purchased my current Superb and that is why I have concerns about future Dpf problems.I really love my Superb and shall be sorry to see her go but hope a replacement combi will solve my problem and if I can average 35mpg then I would be happy with that as the difference in price between Diesel and Petrol will offset the difference in mpg.

Hi,To give you an idea of my mileage,I have only covered 7940 miles in two and a half years,I have been suffering from poor health since I purchased my current Superb and that is why I have concerns about future Dpf problems.I really love my Superb and shall be sorry to see her go but hope a replacement combi will solve my problem and if I can average 35mpg then I would be happy with that as the difference in price between Diesel and Petrol will offset the difference in mpg.

well i wouldn't be so sudden to give the diesel away, the dpf can be deactivated as far as my knowledge goes and if i was you thats what i would do cause i love diesel but at the end of the day it's your call and the difference in price would make up for the loss of MPG Edited by racing boy

i think you will find if you zero the fuel return and just drive around town 26-28 is what you will return in town use.not 37 you will only get that from a diesel i am afraid.

bill

I am thinking of buying a new 1.8tsi dsg combi elegance,I currently have a 2.0 litre 140 dsg hatch,but because my mileage has dropped right off and concerns about the DPF problems that could occur in the future would like to know what sort of Mpg I could expect to get,appreciate any comments.

I went from Octavia VRS 170hp diesel DSG to Superb 1.8TSi DSG. MPG went from 48 to 38.

However petrol is currently c8 pence a litre cheaper, no DPF to worry about, no oil change on the DSG every 40000 miles, no cambelt to replace every 4 years. On my mileage I estimate I will pay around £300 a year more in fuel costs

The 1.8TSi is smoother and quieter

• Like 2

If I did keep the VRS I had for another 6 years I would have had to change the cambelt twice.

I noted the extra fuel costs for a comparison for the OP

Having gained the experience of both engines there are swings and roundabouts both ways

In response to the last post you are forgetting that as said there is no cambelt to worry about and I also believe servicing costs are lower,in my case at the moment there is the saving of no VAT to pay,not only on the basic price but including any extras,if I do go ahead and buy a 1.8tsi I will save nearly £6000,so it makes good financial sense,as to comments about disabling the Dpf,the cost is inexcess of £400 and the legal position with regard to the Mot is not clear at the present moment,as I do a very low mileage annually it makes sound sense to me.I appreciate all the comments made so far,and please keep them coming.

In response to the last post you are forgetting that as said there is no cambelt to worry about and I also believe servicing costs are lower,in my case at the moment there is the saving of no VAT to pay,not only on the basic price but including any extras,if I do go ahead and buy a 1.8tsi I will save nearly £6000,so it makes good financial sense,as to comments about disabling the Dpf,the cost is inexcess of £400 and the legal position with regard to the Mot is not clear at the present moment,as I do a very low mileage annually it makes sound sense to me.I appreciate all the comments made so far,and please keep them coming.

Ps as I writing this post PowerMalc was posting his so my reference was to the previous post

I have covered 18000 mls in my superb. Average MPG recorded is between 36 and 38, obviously higher in the summer. Last year I did 1500 mls in two weeks through France and averaged 41. For me when I purchased in 2011 it was a no brainer as I saved about 5.5k compared with the diesel and up the spec to include electric tailgate, PDC all round, wood trim etc. Car is very quite and smooth with adequate performance, I had a 525 BMW before, but I do have a preference for petrol engines and have never had a diesel. Petrol cars warm up quicker and I reckon are just as economical for the first 5 ml or so. If you are doing mainly short trips, interpersed with some long stuff, then they make sense.

• Like 1