Cheapest reliable skoda

As per title of the thread what is the best bet skoda (fabia or other) with a £3k max budget doing a max of 15k per year (but in all probability not that much mileage).

Have ruled out the VRS due to potential repair costs should things go wrong (turbo, clutch / DMF) and the likelihood of average mileage.

Suggestions please - or even other marques.

Many thanks.

Fabia 1.9tdi PD 100bhp

Ibiza 1.9tdi PD 100bhp

Golf 1.9tdi PD 100bhp

All will serve you brilliantly. Ibiza tends to be the cheapest currently. Golfs are hardest to find for that budget, and also more expensive to insure. (Although I'm referring to sub 100k mileage)

If you want reliability the SDI has a SMF and no turbo, they will do several hundred thousand miles with basic care, when they do go wrong they're quite simple to work on. Will require a timing belt every 60k/4 years at a cost of £200-400 depending on who you use. MPG is great and insurance is low.

If you want something with a bit more power then a PD100 is a good bet. Yes it has a turbo and DMF and still requires a timing belt as above. MPG is good and road tax/insurance is going to be higher.

Out of the petrol's I'm personally not a fan of the 1.2's at all, too many horror story's from both dealers and owners, same for the 1.4 16v so I personally went with the 8v. It's an engine design from the 60?'s but has returned 41mpg lifetime average, no belt to change as it's chain driven (claimed 120k interval), they're prone to thermostat failure (£40 and 30 mins to DIY for a genuine one with 2 year warranty). Service costs are basically oil and filter (£15) and plugs every other service, if you pay a garage to do the oil (I paid £35 rather than do it in the snow) then the plugs are a 15 min job and cost £15 ish. You will pay more road tax but should pay less insurance as it's 68bhp vs the 16v at 75hp or 100bhp depending on the model. You can pick one up well under budget but the down side is it'll usually be a basic trim level as they were the budget offering in the range. In reality this usually means manual doors/windows/mirrors and steel wheels, now trip comp and no a/c. Some of the versions offered had some options fitted though.

Have a look at some of the other threads, everyone speaks from personal experience and we've all experienced different things :)

• Like 1

I agree for reliability and running costs get a SDI or a PD100.

If I was doing 15,000 miles a year I'd probably look at a Mk1 Octavia. There are a few around within your budget with either of the above engine.

You'd also be able to get a SDI/PD100 Fabia within your budget.

I would look at the MK/5 SDI Golf as well, you can just about get one for that price if you didn't mind a bigger car.

eg

http://www.autotrade.../1500?logcode=p

The Fabias are a good size though, easy to park etc but you can fit 4 adults no problem. I would be a bit wary of the turbos there seems to be a new thread every day or 2 on here about them failing, not sure if that's just the vRS though.

My SDI was £1450 but it needed the cambelt for another £375, thats with air-con, they go for a bit less without aircon, perhaps £1200

Here is a 75k example for £1,895

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201301285092278/sort/default/usedcars/maximum-mileage/up_to_80000_miles/make/skoda/onesearchad/used/onesearchad/nearlynew/onesearchad/new/radius/1500/postcode/gu527sa/page/1/keywords/sdi?logcode=p

Edited by Dunkuk