Rain Sensors?

Hi guys,

How do I know if I have these? I can see no obvious evidence of having them. The car is an 05 elegance. I have rear sensors, puddle lights, headlamp washers (which do nothing at present), and a multichanger in the boot,

Any ideas? Should there be a switch to turn them on?

If you're un-sure - Start car, throw liberal amount of water at windscreen and wait to see what happens.

On my car you need to have the wiper stalk in the "auto" position, so if you don't have one of those that might be indication you don't have them.

Ingnition on.

Move the wiper stalk up one notch.

If the wipers wipe intermittently at set time intervals then you don't have auto wipers (standard intermittent wipers)

If the wipers do nothing (dry screen) or wipe more than once (wet screen) you have auto wipers.

The headlight washers only work with the dipped headlights turned on (some work with just sidelights) and only then on every fifth time the windscreen washers are activated.

During the winter months the headlight washer caps can freeze to the front bumper and pop the fuse.

I remember when I first bought the Octy, driving home the wipers did a stroke, wife did not see them said I was dreaming, it happened again she said I did it with the stalk. Argument proceded. Now I know they are auto we can laugh about the day

Yes, there's a sensor inside the mount for the rear view mirror. It's perfectly visible from outside.

The idea is that the sensor emits infrared light which is supposed to bounce back in a certain way. Droplets on the glass disturbs the IR beams, which triggers the sensor.

And by the way, I'm pretty sure my rain sensor doesn't come on if you start the car with the stalk already in the rain sensor position. You need to flick it off and back on. When I say "pretty sure" I mean I've owned the car since November and haven't actually done any scientific tests.

Edited by Perc

Mine does, much to my annoyance.

Luckily that annoyance is directed at my wife for leaving it in the auto position and scaring me half to death!

I wish they did work the way you describe as if the wipers freeze to the windscreen you can start the engine before attempting to free them.

And by the way, I'm pretty sure my rain sensor doesn't come on if you start the car with the stalk already in the rain sensor position. You need to flick it off and back on.

It does still work if you start it with the stalk in Auto.

I found this out one morning when I was de-icing the windscreen with warm water and the wiper activated......splashing me in the process!

Wow, many thanks all for the responses. So, I have no 'auto' on the stalk, BUT, one notch up once the engine is on makes the wipers go once only then nothing until water hits the screen. Tested and works a treat. Thanks all (despite being a nob and throwing water whilst stood in the drivers door area. Doh.....).

Ingnition on.

Move the wiper stalk up one notch.

If the wipers wipe intermittently at set time intervals then you don't have auto wipers (standard intermittent wipers)

If the wipers do nothing (dry screen) or wipe more than once (wet screen) you have auto wipers.

The headlight washers only work with the dipped headlights turned on (some work with just sidelights) and only then on every fifth time the windscreen washers are activated.

During the winter months the headlight washer caps can freeze to the front bumper and pop the fuse.

Cool, good advice thank you. Will check out the fuse.

The worst thing is when they've been left in auto for a few days without rain, and then you get a random wipe even though there is no water on the screen.

Certainly wakes me up!

Mine does, much to my annoyance.Luckily that annoyance is directed at my wife for leaving it in the auto position and scaring me half to death!I wish they did work the way you describe as if the wipers freeze to the windscreen you can start the engine before attempting to free them.
Same here.Absolutely loathe and detest them. Probably the most hated feature on the car tbqh. :devil:

Thanks very much, but God actually gave me vision, so i can therefore decide if and when the wipers need to be turned on.Why oh why do manufacturers fit....and it's NOT just Skoda before anyone kicks off at me for being a Skoda hater..... such grossly overrated utter tat and nonsense, 'cus it defeats me completely.

Edited by Mr Ree

I normally leave them off when generally driving around.

It's when it then starts raining that they are handy. No having to adjust the intermittent time or speed etc.

Phil

I would love it if they gave us an option to choose between rain sensors and normal intermittent. But I like the sensor except that one percent of the time when it can't seem to figure out what to do.

Here's a rain sensor btw, on a first gen Octavia I think. Looks pretty similar (if not identical) on the second generation.

BmttRZv.jpg

• Like 1

Same here.Absolutely loathe and detest them. Probably the most hated feature on the car tbqh. :devil:

Thanks very much, but God actually gave me vision, so i can therefore decide if and when the wipers need to be turned on.Why oh why do manufacturers fit....and it's NOT just Skoda before anyone kicks off at me for being a Skoda hater..... such grossly overrated utter tat and nonsense, 'cus it defeats me completely.

Do you think you should have bought a Horse and Trap instead of a modern car!?

(despite being a nob and throwing water whilst stood in the drivers door area. Doh.....).

Snap.....I know how you feel.

The best thing to do is to leave them on auto but with the sensitivity turned all the way down.

With this you still get the peace of mind that if, for example a truck coming the other way plashes through a puddle you are not blinded but without them randomly wiping a dry screen etc.

Phil

This is what mine looks like.

And if id had the choice, say if I were to buy a new car I'd not opt for them! Prefer the normal delay dial on the intermittent. This 06 Octy isnt bad, my previous 05 model was a joke, just wiped like it had OCD!

post-40219-0-30241300-1360012739_thumb.jpg

So how does one turn down the sensitivity?

The multi position click switch on the top edge of the stalk that normally would set the intermittent speed actually sets the sensitivity on the auto-wipers..the nearer the steering column the less sensitive the auto wipers

The multi position click switch on the top edge of the stalk that normally would set the intermittent speed actually sets the sensitivity on the auto-wipers..the nearer the steering column the less sensitive the auto wipers

Ahhh, cool many thanks....

Do you think you should have bought a Horse and Trap instead of a modern car!

No. I'm a control freak, meaning I like to control what i want to use on a car, not a bloody computer decide for me.

This is the problem with society today. Everything has to be done for you it seems. :wall:

Sorry...no I'm not....but I'm entitled to my views likes and dislikes as much as anyone else.

Get on with it.

No. I'm a control freak, meaning I like to control what i want to use on a car, not a bloody computer decide for me.

This is the problem with society today. Everything has to be done for you it seems. :wall:

Sorry...no I'm not....but I'm entitled to my views likes and dislikes as much as anyone else.

Get on with it.

Whoa..........chill. I was only kidding.

I find the auto wipers ok..........after all they only come on when there is water on the windscreen.....in that situation I'd be turning them on myself anyway.

But I do know what you mean.....my auto headlights are always turned to off, as I like to decide when they come on.