choice of back box

Hi

im looking at getting an aftermarket exhaust system as cheap as possible;

I've already bought a sports cat/downpipe...and the plan is to buy a universal back box off ebay and get a place to fabricate a pipe to link the two.

Will a universal back box fit on the octy vrs mk1?

I know the OEM has quite a long pipe between the tip and silencer and wondered why this was?

Thanks!

In theory a universal backbox should fit every car, however there's not really such a thing as a universal backbox. You would need to have the mounts welded on and, more than likely extra pipework before the box as the vRS one is quite long!

I would scour ebay for a cheap used one, otherwise doing all of the above usually ends up costing more!

cheers,

the plan was to get this one:

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item2573a41909

a place has quoted me 140 to fabricate a pipe from end of downpipe over axle and join back box in 2 1/2 stainless.

so theoretically this should be a cheap system provided no problems arise!

and ive been looking for a second hand one for months now, yet to find one

Edited by mattman7474

Well you asked about back boxes so a golf GTI back box which is the same as an octavia one without the tailpipe. If you are looking for a 2nd hand standard box I'd say that would be much easier to find

If you want a straight through get a straight through but IMO they sound toilet

Edited by Frisco

ok thanks.

Im just after the most power as possible for as cheap as possible.

do you know if theres much restriction from the cat to the back box? (would it even be beneficial to get a new middle section made[power wise]?)

i could just buy the backbox i mentioned above and then get the place to make it fit, but like i say unsure if its worth getting a new middle section :/

Don't buy a "Racetube" for £40!! There are just diesel centre pipes sprayed black. You can get the diesel pipes for little over a tenner. Or for £230 you could of got a full 3" system from the turbo back for a mk4 golf from the states. You'd have to get the exit extended on it though.

It will fit but it's not a direct fit. The octavia box is about 3 feet long when you include the tailpipes so taht box would need to be mounted further back and have the pipework extended to meet it.

Well it seems that Venom Motorsport have up'd there prices in the last week to huge £344 from £270. Not happy as I was going to order one.

unlucky pal!! :wall: i got it just in time then, you not missing much though id go wih piper now this one is to quiet :@

Really? All the other Jetex stuff I've seen at first hand have been good and sounded very good? I'd a thought it would have been ok without the centre box. I wanted Jetext cause it looks like a standard tailpipe.

Really? All the other Jetex stuff I've seen at first hand have been good and sounded very good? I'd a thought it would have been ok without the centre box. I wanted Jetext cause it looks like a standard tailpipe.

well i may sell mine what would you want to pay for a week old non res in original box :giggle: ill let you know if your interested :rock: