tips for new fabia greenline

Weiss

I'm picking up my new fabia greenline estate on friday and I was just wondering if anyone had any tips for when I pick it up and then running it in.

I know to make sure I get the MDI cable from the dealer before I leave :)

Bit of a long read, but here's what the owner's manual says about running them in:

The first 1 500 kilometres and then afterwards

The engine has to be run in during the first 1 500 kilometres.

Up to 1 000 kilometres:

– Do not drive faster than 3/4 of the maximum speed of the gear in use,

that is 3/4 of the maximum permissible engine speed.

– Do not use full throttle.

– Avoid high engine revolutions.

– Do not tow a trailer.

From 1 000 up to 1 500 kilometres:

– Increase the power output of the engine gradually up to the full

speed of the gear engaged, that is up to the maximum permissible

engine revolutions.

During the first operating hours the engine has higher internal friction than later

until all of the moving parts have harmonized. The driving style which you adopt

during the first approx.1 500 kilometres plays a decisive part in the success of

running in your vehicle.

You should not drive at unnecessarily high engine revolutions even after the

running-in period is complete. The maximum permissible engine speed is marked

by the beginning of the red zone on the scale of the revolutions counter. Shift up

into the next higher gear on a vehicle fitted with manual gearbox before the red

zone is reached. During acceleration (depressing the accelerator) exceptionally

high engine speeds are automatically reduced, yet the engine is not protected

against too high engine speeds which are caused by incorrectly shifting down the

gears resulting in a sudden increase of the engine speeds above the permitted

maximum revolutions which can lead to engine damage.

For a vehicle fitted with a manual gearbox the converse situation also applies: Do

not drive at engine revolutions which are too low. Shift down as soon as the engine

is no longer running smoothly.

Caution

All the speed and engine revolution figures apply only when the engine is at its

normal operating temperature. Never rev up an engine which is cold, neither when

the vehicle is stationary nor when driving in individual gears.

For the sake of the environment

Not driving at unnecessarily high engine revolutions and shifting to a higher gear as

early as possible are ways to minimise fuel consumption, operating noise levels as

well as protects the environment and contributes to a longer life and reliability of

the engine.

New tyres

New tyres have to be “run in” since they do not offer optimal grip at first. You should

take account of this fact for the first 500 kilometres and drive particularly carefully.

New brake pads

Allow for the fact that new brake pads do not achieve their full braking efficiency

until approximately 200 kilometres. New brake pads must be first “run in” before

they develop their optimal friction force. You can, however, compensate for this

slightly reduced braking force by increasing the pressure on the brake pedal.

This guideline also applies to any new brake pads installed at a future date.

During the running-in period, you should avoid excessive stresses on the brakes.

This includes, for example, violent braking, particularly from very high speeds, and

also when crossing mountain passes.

• Like 1

drive it normally, just avoid to much loud pedal early on, but it does like the odd brisk run or the DPF clogs and goes into regen (noticable by engine fan after engine turn off with funny rubber smell or engine idle high about 1200rpm instead of normal 850-900rpm)

so anticipate at little better than normal but there are times when something happens and you need to give it some beans (and believe me it you need to get it moving in the first few hundred miles you will give it "wind assist" as it does not get up and go quick)

55mph is very low for the high geared GLII, in 5th it will only be doing 1600-1700rpm just keep the rpm down and don't push the right foot to the floor

the turbo don't seem to come in until about 1500-1600 rpm, below that you are driving something with only 45-50bhp,

the gear change indicator will get you to change up VERY early, i find 2000rpm is a reasonable point unless you are coasting then you are still doing 1400-1500rpm in the next gear and the car will still pull

56-62mph seems to be the best speed for economy, any slower and you don't get the temp in DPF to burn the carbon off and it does more regens hitting your economy, over 70mph the economy drops off sharply

New brake pads

Allow for the fact that new brake pads do not achieve their full braking efficiency

until approximately 200 kilometres. New brake pads must be first “run in” before

they develop their optimal friction force. You can, however, compensate for this

slightly reduced braking force by increasing the pressure on the brake pedal.

This guideline also applies to any new brake pads installed at a future date.

During the running-in period, you should avoid excessive stresses on the brakes.

This includes, for example, violent braking, particularly from very high speeds, and

also when crossing mountain passes.

what has crossing mountain passes got to do with running in new brake pads or exessive usage of brakes..

Edited by fabia55

what has crossing mountain passes got to do with running in new brake pads or exessive usage of brakes..

I guess they mean when someone's going down the mountain. You're bound to use the brakes quite a bit when driving downhill, all the way to the bottom. Well, depends how high the mountain is, I suppose.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I picked the car up today and I have to say I am pleasantly surprised. I didn't get to run it much on the test drive and thought I might have let myself in for a slow drive on the motorway but it is more than capable and once I've got used to the power delivery will probably be better than my old car.

after one afternoon I am very happy, I hope it lasts.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I picked the car up today and I have to say I am pleasantly surprised. I didn't get to run it much on the test drive and thought I might have let myself in for a slow drive on the motorway but it is more than capable and once I've got used to the power delivery will probably be better than my old car.

after one afternoon I am very happy, I hope it lasts.

I'm sure you will continue to love it. I've had mine for 1 and 1/2 months now and still love it. Great motorway car and surprisingly nippy around town. Best of all i am saving so much money on fuel. Enjoy!

Edited by Stagger

Fuel is the sole reason i bought it, i should save around £120 a month by driving this.

I like the start / stop but i rarely use it as i've gotten into a habit of staying in gear at lights etc so i'm having to re-teach myself a bit. Its smarter than some other start/stops ive used and smoother than i expected considering its a diesel.

At the moment i'm just missing a few of the comforts of my old car, armrest, climate control and the ipod sync was better. I also really miss 6th gear on the motorway.

The dog loves having a boot to herself though.

the 5th in the GLII is higher than most and not far off the 6th in wifes mk 1 vrs

still chasing my dealer for MDI cable,

got 82mpg today from west london home round m25 65 mile run

on 25 mile run to an from work avg 60-65 mpg

one thing i have noticed mine don't like tesco diesel, idles rough and sounds awefull and regened more than normal

• 1 month later...