Leaking radiator?

wg100

Hello All,

I could do with some advice please. Was poking around the engine bay yesterday as there had been a strange smell (acrid, like rubber burning) coming through the air vents. I couldn't smell anything in the engine bay, but noticed a possible leak coming out of a small radiator located behind the O/S/F bumper. The area in question is circle number one.

post-20395-0-97955700-1360693271_thumb.jpg

A close up picture is below:

post-20395-0-45318400-1360693321_thumb.jpg

Also, there is another bit of pipe (circle number two) which is also looked wet, again possible leak? Close up below:

post-20395-0-15360900-1360693421_thumb.jpg

I can't tell if these are leaks or not, so would appreciate advice.

Cheers.

Will

i don t know much about this car bud and its quite hard to tell from the pics but the pipe on the 3rd pic looks to have oil on it .

if it was mine id get some clutch / brake cleaner and give it all a good clean up take the car for a good run on a dry day then have a look see if any pipes have got wet again

Perhaps borrow a better camera or upload at a higher resolution as the combination between focus being slightly soft and the low res isn't that easy to see anything (then again it could be me, it's been a looong day).

Coolant often leaves tell-tale marks. Another method, if the system is filled with the correct pink/purple stuff, is to use a UV light, as coolant fluoresces.

Common radiator leak spots include the radiator fan switch (a washer was not fitted at manufacture, but fitting one a Skoda dealer can sell, or ptfe tape, usually sorts it.) Another point is the radiators tend to rust at the bottom corners.

Are you definitely losing coolant? I.e. level falling?

I suppose a burning clutch could be like the type of smell you describe. Usually due to poor clutch control.

Ok, So I think that what I am referring to is the Intercooler. The hose going into it is is circled below

34rt84n.jpg

There seems to be a lot of muck around the bottom of it - is it just crud from the road, or stuff leaking out? Coolant levels seem fine.

15vzw9.jpg

21add0n.jpg

With regards to the smell which made me have a look under the bonnet, it occurred when driving down the motorway. Would the clutch still be a possible factor?