Skoda Fabia 1.9 Tdi VRS Cambelt Change help/advice please.

Galee

Hi Guys I wonder if any of you can help me here just doing the cambelt and water pump on my fabia VRs 2004 I.m a little confused with the camshaft sproket.

Firstly have put water pump in and new tensioner and guide but can not get the belt on it is just to bloody tight am I missing something.

I tryed puting the belt on the then putting the tensioner on last then moving the locking back stud with a screwdriver so it locates but this kept throwing the crankshaft locking tool out and moving the timing.

I have been following the autodata guide and it says to loosen the 3 camshart sproket bolts then turn the camshaft sporket fully clockwise and do them up finger tight. Now these bolts are in the center postion if I turn it fully clockwise then tension it up the bolts do not go to the center postion again they still stay towards the left side might move a tiny bit. Do these bolts need to return to the middle postion or can they stay where ever as the camshaft is looked with the locking pin?

Thanks for any help.

Galee

Personally I do the following..

Dont touch the cam pulley bolts, leave them as they were.

Fit the new belt onto the crank pulley, and put the belt onto the tensioner side.

Remove crank timing pin slightly, but not removed completely.

Turn the crank anti-clockwise about a tooth roughly, and put the belt round the cam pulley keeping as much tension down the left side as possible.

Get the belt into a position that it nearly goes onto the water pump, and turn the crank anticlockwise slightly more, so the belt has slightly more slack to go onto the water pump.

Then turn the crank clockwise and lock the pin back into place.

By doing this, the water pump side should be tensioned, allowing you to tension the other side of the belt as usual.

Where abouts are you located?

Edited by Phil-J

Also there is a little triangle shaped key that goes in the tensioner.. some come with them (genuine) and some dont (i have loads sat in my toolbox lol)

Basically before u put the belt on loosen the 3 13mm bolts that hold the cam pulley then put the "key" in the tensioner tighten the tensioner as far as poss then nip the 15mm nut. The belt will easily go on (crank 1st the cam + water pump last..) make sure when u put the brlt over the cam pulley the 3 bolts are more to the right but NOT all the way to the right..

Then loosen the 15mm on the tensioner + remove the "key" and tension the tensioner..

It will bring the cam pulley bolts to the centre (ish) as long as the bolts arent touching the sides (stopping the cam rotating) then its all good.. if its not in the centre remove the belt + move the cam pulley one tooth which ever way req (with the 13mm bolts loose)

Do you do CR engines by the book to matt?

CR ones are crap lol..

I lock the pump + loosen the pump pulley bolts + cam bolts.. n put it on the water pump last.. but then after checking sometimes they are upto a tooth out..

There is a TPI about it.. jus says re-time + its always spot on the 2nd time :D.. wierd really lol

Thanks for all the advice guys got it done yesterday m9yty your tip about the tensioner an locking pin made life a lot eaiser , Also didn't help I was trying to put over the cam last and not the waterpump!!

Anyway all done cheers guts.