Water in rear footwell N/Side

May i apoligise before i write any more ! i know water ingress has been well covered in other posts

And have trawled through a fair few of them , including the sticky......................................But

I have had the cover off to expose pollen filter , battery etc and can see no sign of even dampness there

With pollen filter out i could feel and see (partially) the foam seal and it doesnt feel or look like water has ever touched it

And there doesnt appear to be any sign of water running down towards fan, ??? cant see if bungs have been removed

But see no wetness under battery when shining torch, and after reading how its best if there are two 6 footers around

To remove battery, dont really want to try taking it out if not necessary ? as only 5 foot six

Could there be any where else that water could be coming in ! have noticed water in compartment in boot where you keep

Car jack, and some tools i have kept in there have went very rusty,

Any help much appreciated !

The foam you can see when you remove the pollen filter element is not the seal which causes the problem. There is an outer seal which is visible only when the pollen filter housing is removed completely. It will be wet and split.

There are no short cuts, the battery, wiper arms, scuttle trim (fragile) and pollen filter housing all have to come out to do the job. There are 2 bungs, one under the battery tray (remove) and one under the brake servo with a pipe passing through it (push out).

Any short cuts and you will have problems. A B5.5 which has let in water will never ever be electrically reliable as the connectors and wiring nodes in the loom all corrode.

Google "weird little biscuit" (Third item in list).

rotodiesel.

Edited by rotodiesel

dont know if its worth trying this.as mine is a taxi

and i went in one of the hand car washes the other day

only to be covered in dripping water when the

geezer put full blast at me.the aerial is one of them magnetic ones

where the cable goes over the door seal.worth checking.

john

If you're certain the water isn't originating from the pollen filter, it's worth checking the door seals. When it's been raining, try looking at the base of the door to see if water is trickling in. It's easier to do this wth the door closed, so in your case you'd open the offside door and to get a look at the interior of the nearside door whilst it's still closed.

If it's the culprit, remove the door card and seperate the regulator plate from the actual door. Get some good silicone sealant and re-seal the regulator plate.

Whether the door seal is at fault or not, the plenum chamber needs doing, because if it hasn't leaked yet, chances are it will at some point.

Edited by allclownsareevi

The foam you can see when you remove the pollen filter element is not the seal which causes the problem. There is an outer seal which is visible only when the pollen filter housing is removed completely. It will be wet and split.

There are no short cuts, the battery, wiper arms, scuttle trim (fragile) and pollen filter housing all have to come out to do the job. There are 2 bungs, one under the battery tray (remove) and one under the brake servo with a pipe passing through it (push out).

Any short cuts and you will have problems. A B5.5 which has let in water will never ever be electrically reliable as the connectors and wiring nodes in the loom all corrode.

Google "weird little biscuit" (Third item in list).

rotodiesel.

Thanks for all replies ! i started to remove pollen filter today ! and got all nuts loose ok !

But after coming and having a look a rotodiesel reply i read that wiper arms would have to come off too

Got arm nuts off ok and left spindle soaking in wd 40, but couldnt get arms to come off

So i guess will get some one else to do it coz me and FRAGILE dont go together,

Will have a look at at door seals next time it rains , hopefully it will be there it leaks much less hassle

But will def have to do pollen filter now as slackening nuts on it will no doubt have disturbed seal on it

Its not the wire coming over door seal John ! as when last time i changed meters guy never fitted cable

For roof sign ,so doesnt light up ! I have had that prob in cars before though

What i did notice is after reading about grommet for bonnet catch being a possible leakage point

On inspection i saw that some tube had run two other cables through the it too , as my taxi has all this

computerised stuff on it for dispatching hires to me, and installers had put cables through grommet to connect to battery

so will have to silicone that up too,

As a further post on this, i have now literally read dozens of these ingress posts! some from way back

As i cant get car looked at till next week , as mech offshore !

I just wondered if duct taping up the joint between pollen filter housing and tube????? that goes to fan

would work as temp measure as read off one of Rotodiesels old posts 2008 , or plumbers putty etc

as due to rain tomorrow

A wiper piller will help to take off wipers.

i think duct taper is a good temporary option, but you would want to check it regularly.

it will help as a temporary Fix, you would want to do a good job on sealing it from the inside.

Keep it tight over the joint and seal the top and bottom edges of the tape with tape also ( 3 strips of tape).

Cleaning away the muck thats around the pollen filter will help drain the area better also.

Temp fix, remove the grommets and that will stop it flooding again, mate and me have done this an not had problem again with out Taxis.

There is a good chance this won't be enough. On mine the bungs were removed but what was happening was leaves and other crud were making a small dam near the filter, directing rain water onto the seals before it got anywhere near the plenum bungs.

You can perform this repair without taking away the wiper arms and trim. It is possible, but what a PITA. If you prefer doing it that way, then be sure that you don't do it in cold (plastic gets fragile) but in a warm place. And also, prepare yourself a 6pack of whatever beverage you like :D