Front crossmember?

timberwolf

Hi All,

I shall try to describe this as best as I can. I had a banging noise on the nearside front, turned out the car had been driven too long with the bush worn on the forward facing dog leg. The trouble is, the hole where the long bolt passes through had grown bigger due to excessive movement. The mechanic used a thick square washer to reduce the movement when they fitted a new dog leg. The trouble is, there is still movement at the head of the bolt. My question is, should I get the large square washer welded to the front crossmember or, Are the crossmembers bolt on/bolt off allowing me to replace it?

Its a little hard to explain but basically its the front nearside dog leg where the head of the hexagon bolt sits. The bolt then goes through and fastens into an aluminium (subframe?) at the bulkhead.

Thanks,

Phil

20130219_084828.jpg

20130219_084847.jpg

If u talking about the metal bit the bolt goes in in the 1st pic then that is the subframe..

The ally bits in the 2nd pic are side mountings for the arms.. if the subframe hole has got bigger replace it.

Not something u want to bodge with a washer ;)

Yes thats the one in the first pic Matt, thank you. I Imagine a subframe is expensive and a big job to swap over? As I said, the mechanic used a thick large washer to try to stop the movement but it still bangs. I was thinking if the square plate washer was welded in place the bolt would be ok? The washer is thicker than the subframe steel. We also used a slightly longer bolt.

Thanks for the reply.

Are there any good garages for the Vrs around the manchester area? Someone who knows the cars and is interested in working on them without it costing a fortune? My girlfriend uses the car and it needs some other issues looking at too. Power steering is playing up and the battery died so after reading the topic on here we assumed they were related and purchased a new expensive battery yesterday and the powersteering is the same. Really need someone in the area who could give the car a good fettling for me as she is always on my case about it LOL. I don't expect anyone to sort it for free but some of the garages are ridiculously expensive. I just spent a small fortune having the belts changed and then some of the bushes on the front.

Phil

In terms of welding the subframe.. this would be a MOT fail so dont do it ;)

U could buy a second hand subframe for around £40 on ebay/ breakers..

The power steering problem could be the alternator/ alternator wire that breaks off the connector under car around the front of the gearbox.

Check the voltage of the battery when its running to check the charge rate of the alternator.. shud be around 13.5v.. if its more like 12v then u will have one the above problems..

If its charging ok then chances are the p/steering control unit is knackred normally caused by moisture getting in.

This can be seen by pulling off the passenger fog light surround (just pull no screws).. remove the plug with ignition off + see the condition of the pins/ plug..

If they are green/ corroded then thats your problem..

Thats bets bet for stuff u can check yourself before spending money at a garage..

:)