Just got my Monte - Initial Review

Okay, first off – does anybody want to swap a MDI to iPod/Phone cable for a MDI to Micro USB cable. It is Brand New, packaged and unsealed. I have a Samsung Galaxy.

Anyway – just got my Monte Carlo 105 Vsi in Candy White and Black (3 days ago).

Obviously I haven’t had enough drive time to fully assess it, but I am happy to give readers here my initial review, (useful for potential buyers wanting feedback from owners). My views are, of course, subjective and I have been driving a Seat Ibiza FR 1.9 Tdi with a 130bhp, for the last 10 years. My gear changing and driving expectations have still to adapt to a new car, with less torque, grunt, a gear less and a much smaller engine.

Styling & Build Quality: I love the way it looks, that’s why we want/own one, right? I chose the Candy White and Black and it really does look very classy. I have the new badging on mine, so out goes the green Skoda logo and in with the new ‘meaner’ Chrome and Black one. It has blacked out windows, black alloys, black metallic contrasts on the white…awesome. The build quality is fine with me, so far. No squeaks or groans when in motion, the plastics are a little sharp and thin in places but overall the look and feel of them is as good as any in this price range. The only downer I would give on this so far is that the door handles look and feel that they could snap off in your hand with a strong tug. That aside, I’m more than pleased with everything else. Bear this in mind with comparable cars in the £13k price range.

Performance: As I say, I’ve been driving a 1.9 Turbo with loads of torque so my driving is still adapting to what is a totally different car. I find myself forgetting that I need to drive uphill in lower gears than I am used to and also will probably need to change gears a lot more. In my Seat I used to be off and away in 3rd gear and could do a cold start from 2nd too. The Skoda has Sports styling but should not be bought as a sports car with sports performance. I knew this when I bought it and am not disappointed by it…I just need to get used to it.

Saying that, it’s easy to forget that there is just a 1.2 engine in there. I haven’t had it on the motorway yet but I can feel that there’s some power there that is just waiting to be tapped in to. I have driven 1.0 to 1.4 engines before and this car doesn’t feel like them at all. That will be the VSI aspect of the Skoda and really does make this engine something very special indeed. I live in a very hilly part of the country and although I’m not buzzing up and down them, like I used to in my turbo diesel, this car still feels very capable bearing in mind the engine size. I imagine that there are bigger powered engine cars that don’t drive as well as this Skoda.

I am well pleased by it and it has exceeded my expectations of what a 1.2 car can do, (bearing in mind that it can’t whizz up and down hills or accelerate like my 1.9 Tdi).

Some forum members have complained about its noisy engine. Crikey, when it is ticking over I can barely tell it is on! I find mine to be whisper quiet and when driving I just hear enough feedback to prompt me for gear changing. In fact, I’ve stalled it a few times as I’m so used to a noisy diesel! I test drove the 85PS and that is even quieter. When I turned the key in the ignition I couldn’t hear the engine at all and thought I’d done something wrong. Again, I’m getting used to it and retraining my ears LOL.

Comfort & Handling: The steering, clutch, gear changes and braking all feel responsive and I don’t have any worries about them at all. I feel safe in this car and it is a pleasure to drive. Some forum members have complained of a hard ride but if you buy a car with stiffened suspension and low profile tyres then it is going to be a harder ride. You are substituting comfort for manoeuvrability so it depends what you are after. I’m used to a very hard ride indeed from my former car and compared to that my new Skoda feels twice as soft. I have no problems with it, just remember not to off road it and you’ll be fine.

I find the seats to be very comfortable and for Lumbar support is comparable with my Seat FR. They look very sporty, not too hard, not too soft…perfect for me. I got the heated seats option and if you spoil yourself on a couple of extras then this must be on your list. I’ve used them already….love this option. Some forum members have complained that the seating position is too high up, even when adjusted at its lowest position. All I can say is that I didn’t find this to be problem, in fact if anything it’s a positive bonus. The position in my former car was quite low down and I welcome a more lofty position. It gives me better visibility of the road all around and as a sufferer of a bad back it is easier to get in and out of the car.

Other stuff: On the Monte the headlights, I have read here, to be too dim or yellowish. Again, all I can do is compare it with my former cars and say that the Skoda has brighter lights and also a better light pattern. I have activated the DRL’s and sod it to anyone who doesn’t know what they are. It’s not my fault they can’t buy a Monte ? Anyway, I have bought some LED’s but have not had them fitted yet.

I didn’t opt for the Climate control. I’ve had it before and almost never used it. Manual Air Con is perfect for all my needs. The heater is very hot and very quick and won’t take long too heat your car in Winter or demist it. TCS and ESR don’t come as standard so these will cost you as an extra, as do curtain airbags. If it’s a choice between having the Sat Nav or the Airbags and TCS then I advise the buyer not to compromise on safety as these may save your life, or passenger’s life, one day.

There’s a light in the glove box and in the boot, small things but all useful stuff my other car didn’t have. The Radio/CD player is easy to use, and looks very good too. There is an Aux input in the centre console, behind the handbrake, so you can plug in your Mp3 device, or I pod, or android phone with a phono plug and hit the play button to listen on your car speakers. There’s an MDI interface so that you can operate and navigate your phone, player, etc via the Radio/Cd player with the ‘Media’ button. If this works with my Samsung Galaxy this will be a bonus feature for me. No more having to clutter my glove box with umpteen CD cases. Time will tell, I need an MDI to micro USB cable. The dealer supplied a cable but it was for the i phone/pod.

As I say, this is all subjective and I have only had it for 3 days. I just couldn’t wait to post something, on an initial basis, as I’m well chuffed with my Skoda.

Early days but no regrets that this is the car for me. Would recommend \m/

• Like 3

Thanks for the review and I'm glad you like the new motor; like ours then but a bit extra hp and the new look :)

Re the MDI cable, our supplying dealer was happy to exchange the factory apple lead for our choice of a standard USB plug. didn't have one in stock on collection day but it arrived shortly after in the post; great service so far.

TP

I had a fabia 105 bhp 1.2 as a courtesy car, I must admit I was very impressed with the performance, it was DSG and I gave my mate in his VRS a good run for his money!

I also noticed it did a fair few miles on £20 of petrol.

Enjoy your car and as it is a nippy turbo motor don't be afraid to use it.

Nice review, I'm glad you love your Monte as much as I do mine, in fact, I'm trading it in for a new one ordered today :-)

Re the MDI, I used my S3 for a while but decided to buy one of these, it's far easier and tidier than trying to squeeze your phone in that small MDI area.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-Cruzer-Blade-Flash-Drive/dp/B005FYNT3G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1361830289&sr=8-1

and one of these if your dealer won't swap, they should ask you what you want I think.

All the best and keep enjoying your car.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-GOLF-Skoda-Seat-MDI-AMI-MMI-Media-AUX-Cable-Adapter-Connect-USB-Flash-Drive-/140838759516?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item20caa4ec5c

Nice review. I too came from a Seat Ibiza FR, mapped and lowered etc etc then to a mk1 vrs now a mk2 vrs and have been very happy with the brand.

No worries with power but then the vrs isn't exactly short of it.

Should have driven the Monte, could have been just as happy!

Re the MDI, I used my S3 for a while but decided to buy one of these, it's far easier and tidier than trying to squeeze your phone in that small MDI area.

http://www.amazon.co...61830289&sr=8-1

Same one i use - works perfectly. means you never need to remove it, just leave it tucked into the mdi space.

BTW, i dont think skoda sell a micro mdi cable. When i was looking all i found was mini, full and ipod. I went with the mini and purchased a couple of converters so i have mini to micro and mini to full (although you could do any combination you want i guess). This then gives me the option to at least charge my galaxy while out and about, but also plug in other usb devices for charging.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Same one i use - works perfectly. means you never need to remove it, just leave it tucked into the mdi space.

BTW, i dont think skoda sell a micro mdi cable. When i was looking all i found was mini, full and ipod. I went with the mini and purchased a couple of converters so i have mini to micro and mini to full (although you could do any combination you want i guess). This then gives me the option to at least charge my galaxy while out and about, but also plug in other usb devices for charging.

Good advice Terakris. I got that USB at a bargain price of about £13 for a 32Gb drive. Well pleased, and I'm going to get a USB cable from the dealership for nowt too. Job sorted.

Edited by Hadian Gates
  • Like 1