Citigo vs Fabia diesel comparison....anyone!

Well, sorry if this has been asked. But didn't see it on the board. Has anyone changed their diesel Fabia for a new Citigo either 60ps or 75ps and if so, what do you think of the Citigo by comparison. I'm meaning space in general, comfort, performance and fuel economy etc and particularly ride comfort regarding bump thump etc and general handling fo the car on the road...compared to the Fabia's. I own the Fabia 1422cc diesel Estate which is a great car, but now need something that warms up quicker and yet gives a similar fuel economy. Less space is ok if the car is good.

I went from a Fabia to the Citigo, though mine wasn't a diesel. Space inside is surprisingly not far off the Fabia, slightly less rear legroom, otherwise it's really quite roomy in the front. I find the ride very comfortable even with the lowered Greentech suspension as the higher profile tyres help to smooth things out. The engine makes a nice rasp when accelerating, but is still really quiet when just cruising (no, I don't know how they managed to make this car so quiet!) It's not a road rocket, but it goes briskly enough when needed, and it is good fun down a twisty road.

Getting well into the 60's mpg is not hard to do at all. Don't think I've managed to get mine below 50 no matter how I drove it :D

Can't really help, sorry, but interesting comparison! I am thinking of a Citigo too, as I am doing less miles and more short town journeys. I have a 1.2 tsi fabia and am hoping a non-turbo would be less affected by short journeys.

I test drove an up! (just for convenience)and was deelpy impressed. It was lively in town and the handling on a country road was excellent. The ride seemed comfortable too. I also liked the comfort of the front seats.

Which model or spec were you thinking of?

Andy.

I've driven both, you'd be suprised by the ride in the citygo, its much better than any previous "town car" and the performance (we have the 60ps) is perfectly acceptable, even on long motorway journeys...

loads of grip, but then we have the 15 inch wheels with 185/55/15 tyres on...

space in the front is comparable, worst thing is lack of footrest and reach adjustment,and seatbelt adjustment, which annoys me on a long journey, but then its mostly used for short journeys.

have a drive and see what you think :) we never get less than 52 mpg, and reg get 65+mpg if im driving! when its run in I expect to see 70 + mpg :)

My wife prefers the feel of her Citigo to my Fabia vRS - it does feel a bit "tighter", I have to confess but its probably 200kg+ lighter! Wheels at each corner does improve ride and handling and its by no means out of its depth at speed.

Can't really help, sorry, but interesting comparison! I am thinking of a Citigo too, as I am doing less miles and more short town journeys. I have a 1.2 tsi fabia and am hoping a non-turbo would be less affected by short journeys.

I test drove an up! (just for convenience)and was deelpy impressed. It was lively in town and the handling on a country road was excellent. The ride seemed comfortable too. I also liked the comfort of the front seats.

Which model or spec were you thinking of?

Andy.

I'm looking to get the 75ps Elegance with auto box...yes the asg! I want to try that box first just to see how good or bad it is. I know it's no dsg but that's fine, if it does the job I won't be worried by a slower change of gears. It just has to be tough and reliable.

Thank you guys. It's very interesting to hear your comments, and informative. Up until now I've been dragging my feet about changing my Fabia diesel as I love it to bits. I'm a diesel head as most of you know. Changing to petrol is a big deal for me but I have to say things have now changed so much regarding petrol engines, with big improvements in design even on non turbo models. I do less miles now than ever in a car so changing makes sense, especially if I go for the auto box as I've suffered an injury which make gear changes quite painful. And of course, diesels too have changed with all this new anti pollution gubbins and that's made them less user friendly as an alround car, especially if used mostly in town or on urban roads. I actually believe I will be better off with petrol with it being that bit cheaper at the pump, and yet I should still be able to get my normal average mpg out of the Citigo that I achieve from the Fabia diesel. Or at least somewhere near it. Cheaper tax too (£20 per year instead of £30). With the money I save on road tax I'll be one of the super rich!! Can't lose.

Mike it's nice to hear your comments about the ride comfort and the direct comparison you have made. I'm glad you are happy with yours. Thanks!

Take one out for a decent, long test drive, they are lovely little cars. The Citigo will beat most of the Fabia diesels on fuel economy with ease. As an only car though the boot size may pose a problem.

Oh - and apologies if its been mentioned already, time to warm up is stunningly quick...which will also help with short run economy (<5-10 miles). Normally up to temp (well, hot air from the vents) within a mile.

Not tried the Citigo in Manual shift mode, but if its anything like the other single clutch auto I drove and enjoyed (Smart) you subconsciously lift off for the changes which smooths them out even more.

Hello Phil, thanks for the above comments. That warm up thing is important too as you say and it's nice to know it's that quick. I hadn't really noticed you have the ASG box on yours.

I haven't driven the ASG and it's unlikely I can get a drive anywhere soon. but it's the one I want, I think! Wife and me will be taking out the manual version which will give us a good overal feel for the car. My main concern is to find out just how good that ASG box is, or not! How smooth, quick to change etc. Are you able to decribe your overall feelings of the auto box. Do you like it?

Firstly, it's not an auto in the conventional sense, but like any auto (even DSG) you can catch it out; traffic islands being the biggest one. First drive you might be shocked at its time to change gear, but its as quick as one would do it manually; just seems like longer because you're not doing it. On gentle acceleration, its hardly noticeable; having experienced the Vauxhall, Toyota and Smart ASG-type systems, its one of the best IMHO. With a small engine and a small gearbox designed down to a price point, its pretty good and is never going to match a conventional epicyclic/torque converter box or even a twin-clutch system.

As with most modern "autos", they change down at the latest moment when slowing and have a certain time to take up drive from standstill. Bear this in mind and go in with a clear head but in general, wifey has had no cause to complain about it. Some have noticed the fact it likes to change up maybe too soon when exiting junctions etc for which I've found the trick (not that economical, I don't suppose) is to give it more welly to hold it in 1st (or 2nd if not from standstill) for that bit longer to get you into the "clear" zone. The alternative is to use the manual override, I guess.

I inevitably compare it with the DSG in my vRS and that's not fair to it. It is what the acronym suggests - Automated Shift Gearbox - a manual gearbox that operates the rods and the clutch itself. Unlike a DSG or a "real" auto you get no creep either so ex-manual-only gearbox drivers will take to it maybe easier than those coming from traditional autos?

• Like 1

Thanks Phil. When I teched, I worked on the same type of systems employed on Transits. It worked ok actually but as you imply was a bit less smooth. You soon get used to it and drive accordingly. Some drivers were great with it, driving very smoothly, and prefered it. That's what I'm hoping for mine. I've driven conventional autos lots over the years and haven't liked them but now that I have the need I don't have much choice but to knuckle down and get an auto. I think I will prefer the asg system over a conventional system or even dsg as it's much simpler and can be fettled quite easily. Thanks again Phil.

As an only car though the boot size may pose a problem.

I've actually been pleasantly surprised at how much you can get in the boot. A months food shop for 2 went into the Fabia boot no problem, but I wasn't sure it would also go in the Citigo. Yes, it did! It's deceptively deep and the bottom is pretty wide.

I took my road bike to Leeds in it by putting my luggage in the boot (large sports bag) then folding the seats and moving the passenger seat forward a bit. The bike then went in with both wheels removed. :) The top of the sports bag was still below the backs of the folded seats.