Rear washer not working

Found today my rear washer won't spray onto the window. When wiper is on i can hear the motor and on close inspection there is water leaking around the wiper arm joint but nothing go through jets. Bit worried as im now thinking where is the water going. Not too clever with cars so any help would be appreciated.

Try flipping the washer jet cover up- grab hold of the rounded end first. Then when the jets are exposed it can be popped out of the spindle. Try your washer then and a large bore jet of waster should issue. If so then clean the jets out with a fine drill bit (use fingers only to rotate) or a bit of stiff copper wire.

If on re-assembly the jets do not spray, then the washer pipe has come off somewhere- a more difficult fix which someone else can tell you about.

I assume you are referring to an Octavia? Your profile states a Fabia vRS?

If you now have an Octavia then it is a common problem.

As above the washer jet is blocked.

Stop trying to use the rear washer. If it hasn't already the back-pressure will pop off the pipe somewhere along it's journey from the washer bottle in the engine bay. This either leaks behind the dashboard, leaks on to the electrics behind the CD multichanger or fills up the spare wheel well.

Pull open the hinged plastic cap over the jet / spindle and pull up and off the little plastic nozzle. Drop it into a cup of boiling hot water and vinegar and leave it overnight. In the morning blow through it to remove any grit/rust/limescale etc. and refit.

Be sure to check the spindle that the nozzle pushes onto. If this is rusty you'll just block the nozzle again.

Finally ensure you use a strong mix of good quality screen wash to help keep the nozzle clear for as long as possible. It will block up gain, the question/challenge is to try to keep it free for as long as possible!

• Like 1
  • Love it! 1

Thanks for both of your replies, I will try out what you've suggested on Thursday and let you know how it goes. I have a mk2 octavia vrs now having previously owned a fabia vrs. I'm hoping the pipe hasn't come apart somewhere along the line but there was a trickle of water from the jet joint and the jets themselves were damp so fingers crossed.

Feckin thing blocks all the time on mine even with fan compatible screen wash.

Tesco cheap stuff is the worst for blocking them, Best avoided.

• 1 month later...

You don't need a guide....mine went this weekend, and all you need to do is lift off the plastic cap at the bottom of the wiper arm, which then reveals the jet nozzle. Prise this up (if it hasn't already blown off with the pressure) and you may then see some cr*p inside it. Get a pin and poke it down both washer jets to remove said cr*p, and then rinse under a running tap...you may need to repeat this 2 or 3 times to clear it all away !!!

• 10 months later...

Would be very grateful for detailed instructions on how to get behind the CD multichanger, carpet, trim, etc, to inspect the joint in the the feed pipe that is said to be there. For information the rear wash does not deliver water, the pump can be heard running, and the jet is definitely not blocked. 

• 3 years later...
  • 2 years later...

My rear washer hasn’t been working for a while. When I took my car in to the Skoda garage for a service I asked them to have a look. The report which came back was confusing - they said there are no leaks or breaks in the pipe work. The rear wiper is working and there is power getting to the unit but I need a new motor. Is the rear wiper motor and washer motor one unit and they’re saying that part of this is working but not the washer part?

They’ve quoted £277 part and labour to fit a new motor. This sounds expensive to me - particularly for something I use a couple of times a year!

• 3 weeks later...

I best check out the other half's as hers can be heard but no water coming out. She hasn't let me know of water showing inside but she's not likely to!

We've had the car for around 14 months and its never worked but would be good to get this working.

• 1 month later...

Hi. Fascinating, thank you. Is there a pipe connector somewhere near the bottom of the A pillar on the passenger (RHD) side? I suspect that’s where I have the problem with my son’s car, which has caused issues with the heater resistor and blower. The heater is resolved but currently he’s under orders not to use the rear washer spray. If there is a connection there, I can’t work out how to get to it to reconnect (or bypass). Any knowledge shared most welcome.