Clunk when turning the steering wheel

briskycat

Quite recently I started to notice clunks coming from the front of my Yeti. These clunks can sometimes be heard while parking or when going over certain rather small rounded bumps. I did a simple test of the steering mechanism right away: with the car standing still with the engine running, I swung the steering wheel vigorously several times to the left and to the right with the amplitude of about 90 degrees. I did it with the steering wheel around three different positions: straight, one full turn to the left, and one full turn to the right. And with the wheels turned to the right I could hear distinctive clunks while swinging the steering wheel. So now I am rather sure about the source of the clunks.

Nevertheless, I did a bit of research on the Internet and could not find any complaints about the steering mechanism of the Yeti. Which is rather surprising because, according to the part number (1K1423055), this steering rack is used in a very wide range of VAG's models and some of them do have similar issues as mine (note: in the Tiguans they use a different rack with a very different power steering coupling).

So, before going to the dealer, I'd love to know if anyone on this forum has ever had such “symptoms”, or I am the only one who is so “lucky” :) The reason I am asking is that I am almost sure the dealer will refuse to acknowledge the problem as the steering is working fine.

P.S. My Yeti has done just about 14K kilometres so far...

Edited by briskycat

Plenty around here as well!

Don't the feathers fly when you hit them?

Sorry, our Russian friend, but as you might be able to tell this doesn't appear to be very common over here.

I have had a problem that sounds similar to what you are describing in a previous car, which turned out to be the top mount of one of the front suspension struts. A little tightening and the problem disappeared! Took a while to figure out, we had previously checked the wishbone joints, steering rack etc, but in the end it was quite a simple fix.

Not sure if this is the cause of the problem you are having, but might be worth checking.

No worries, glad to -hopefully- be of help. Please post an update when you've sorted it out to let us know what it was, I'm intrigued!

• 2 months later...

An update on the topic. I still haven't contacted the dealer as the problem was not obvious, but after a couple thousand kilometers and a trip from Moscow to Crimea, the problem has become more apparent. Here is what I meant by "clunks, when going over certain rather small rounded bumps":

I checked the strut mounts by rocking the car by the front wings while holding a screwdriver on the tip of a strut shaft - the mounts seem firmly attached and silent. Ball joints and other suspension parts seem OK too. Interestingly, the sounds when swinging the steering wheel haven't become louder.

I will contact my dealer ASAP, but have to do another 1500 km on the return trip first... hope the steering rack won't disintegrate.

P.S. Compare this to a new BMW X3:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZnkn7UA90U

Hmmmm, unfortunately that's not the sound I had in mind when suggesting you check the top mounts, it's probably not that.

It does, however, remind me of the sound my suspension was making in a previous car when a shock absorber had been damaged beyond repair by a particularly bad pothole. It was making a similar clunking noise whenever the shock needed to absorb bumps. I guess you have already ruled this out as a possibility?

I guess you have already ruled this out as a possibility?

Sort of, as well as the anti-roll bar links. Though, I am still not 100% sure. What I am sure about is that the steering rack does make clunking/clicking noises when the wheels are turned to the right: I could feel it by touching the tie rods. So maybe there are two sources of sounds.

Re-checked everything and found out that the lower ball joint of the left anti-roll bar link was clunking when I gently rocked the car by the left front wing. If I pushed harder, my assistant couldn't hear or feel anything. So looks like it is the link and not the steering rack that is making the sounds that can be heard on the video. :)

• 2 weeks later...

And finally I have had the stabiliser link replaced by Skoda under warranty! The clunks are now gone. It has taken the dealer 4 hours and a half to do the job, although I think I would have done it in one hour myself, even without air tools, a lift, etc. Not to say I had to wait the warranty service for a full week.

• Like 1