225 vs 235 width tyres on VRS (17in)

I think my front tyres are about done and I've started hunting around for replacements but I've found that when I check my car on tyres sites it comes up with 225/45 R17 tyres while the car currently has 235/45 R17 tyres all round (Michelin Pilot Sports).

I'll admit I don't really know much about tyres, I usually just stick on whatever is recommended so I don't understand why the car has wider tyres, is this a choice you can make for better traction as there's a bit of leeway on the alloy? The difference in price is only £14 for the Pilot Sport 3 but £20 for the Primacy 3 tyre.

I've been doing some reading through topics here and Michelin seem to get the nod, the Primacy tyre is rated quite a bit better for fuel efficiency and quieter but still the same wet weather performance which makes me dubious that the ratings can be trusted as I assume the pilot sport tyre is better suited to the VRS?

Thanks for any help,

John

The standard size on 17 inch vrs alloys is 225/45, I have heard of people gettting wider tyres to suit winter conditions, other than that I dont know why you have 235's on there

...Wider summer tyres in winter would be worse...

• Like 1

I thought when you did the calculations getting a wider tyre also increases the radius so leads to a more bouncy tyre.

Not saying this is the right thing or that I do this, its just an example of maybe why they are 235 on your car at the moment

I was thinking of going with the 235's again to keep all four the same given the price difference isn't that much but I guess there's not really much point as the 225's will be fine.

John

• 3 weeks later...

I'm keen to hear feedback on the Primacy III's as my Pilot Sport III's are due for replacement soon, and I too had noticed the hint of lower rolling resistance. It looks like the Primacy tread has more chance of getting a bite on snow than the PS3's, for which snow was their nemesis.