Mobile Smart Phone Woes!

JB CAT7

Just bought a Motorola Defy Plus as my old phone was, well, old!!

I thought Bluetooth was Bluetooth but apparently not.

Long story short, my new phone will not transfer the "phone book" across which seems to defeat the reason of having Bluetooth.

My old phone worked fine with Bluetooth on my Yeti.

Any ideas or previous experience of how to get around the problem would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Car is Yeti 4x4 140 Elegance 2012

My Motorola Defy+ works fine with the BT on my Yeti, including sharing the phone book.

IIRC, when you first pair the phone with the car you have to say "yes" to a question that pops up in the notification area*. It's easily missed if you're not looking out for it. I think it only appears the first time you connect after pairing, so if you don't do it then you don't get another chance unless you unpair the phone and repeat the process. Once you've done it, it remembers the setting every time the phone connects with the car's BT.

AFAIK this process is not unique to the Defy+, I'm sure I've read on here about users of other phones having to do it.

Music streaming via Bluetooth also works with the Defy+ but you have to control it all through the music player on the phone because it has a very basic version of the AVRCP protocol.

* If you're not familiar with Android, the notification area is the narrow band at the top of the screen with the battery icon, time, signal bars etc on the right hand side. The actual notifications appear as icons on the left. You drag the bar down to see the detail of the notifications - or if you have pudgy fingers you can (on the Defy+ at least) call it up by tapping the menu key from the home screen and selecting "More" then "Notifications".

Edited by ejstubbs

Thank you E J Stubbs and Dan Barnes.

I now have my phone book loaded and working.

I would never have found that "notification"!!

I had telephoned Motorolla help desk who told me the Defy plus was not compatible with the Yeti's system!!

The phone was packed up and ready for returning to Amazon prior to your postings, so thanks again.

• Like 1

I had telephoned Motorolla help desk who told me the Defy plus was not compatible with the Yeti's system!!

I had a similar experience with my previous Samsung (non-smart) phone which kept dropping its BT connection. Samsung told me that the phone was not compatible with the Yeti's BT module, which was utter BS. It was compatible - unless they were lying about the BT version that it was supposed to operate - it just didn't work properly. Those are not the same thing, despite what the know-nothings on the "help" desk seemed to think.

What they actually meant was: "There's nothing we can do to fix it so you're SOL." I'd have minded less if they'd actually said that.

Anyway, glad you got yours working.