Octavia problem help

Ok so was driving home last night with my 6 month old in the back was tipping it down with rain and the passanger side wiper stoped working then 10 mins later they both stoped working luckley i was round the corner from home. So today looked why the passanger wiper stopted the bolt was loose easy fix. cheaked the fuse no 24 was fine. Still no joy. Thought the linkage had seized to took the motor off the car and put a 12v supply on and it worked fine. Then tested the cable on the loom of the car and no power when the stalk was in position 1 2 3, so i am stuck i am thinking either relay or stalk any ideas what to test next it a mk1 octavia 4x4 150k

Probably easier to next pop out the relay (assuming it is actually a relay?) and check that. Replacing the stalk is a pain as that involves messing around with the steering wheel and airbag. Do you know anyone local with an Octy you could borrow they relay from to test in your car? That said, I am not familiar with the wipers - is a there actually a relay? I don't recall hearing a click when the wipers are in operation....

Thinking about a blast of switch cleaner into the wiper switch might be worth a shot too.

The relays on these tend to give problems, usually a big brown plastic box up under the drivers side lower dash panel. They can be opened up and the contacts cleaned and greased. Mine has already stuck once so I've had to open it up.

From memory ( so beware :) )...

Pin 2 on the relay is the high speed input from the stalk

Pin 8 on the relay is the standard speed input from the stalk

Pin 12 on the relay is the intermittent input from the stalk

Pins 4 & 5 are the feed to the motor (can't remember which is the high speed)

Had a play today took the relay out and took the cover off tested the pins and still nothink. Then got a little peed off and moved the stick up and down quite quick and hay presto there working again not sure how it happened. Greased the motor up while i had it off and all looked fine.

Thanks for ur help guys

Then got a little peed off and moved the stick up and down quite quick and hay presto there working again not sure how it happened.

Might be worth a quick squirt of switch cleaner into the switch in that case.

• Like 1