Skoda Rapid 1.2TSI 86ps SE

unclerichy

I've just spent a couple of days with the Rapid as an advertising emblazoned courtesy car and thought I'd share my experiences. As a Skoda owner I spent 6 years in a Mk II 2.0TDI Octavia Ambience (equivalent to an SE), I occasionally drive my wife's Fabia 1.2 DSG Elegance and I've had my Superb 170CR DS Elegance for a little over a year.

As I've driven a DSG for the last year and not owned a petrol engined car since my Leon Cupra back in 2002 I was looking forward to driving something different. I was initially expecting to forget about it being manual resulting in me driving everywhere in 1st or stalling every time I pulled up at traffic lights but fortunately my sub-conscious dealt with the change admirably.

I assumed that the engine was the 105ps variant but we'll come to that later... Since the Fabia is the 105ps 1.2TSI I expected performance to be on a par with it and generally found it to be similar. Only when attempting to accelerate at low revs in high gears was a bit of 'box stirring required to find the power band. I put this down to not having driven a manual for a while and expecting the 'box to take care of all that stuff for me. At town speeds the light steering and 5 speeds enabled suitably swift progress and I found it to be very nippy. Motorway cruising wasn't a problem either and I felt at ease in the outside lane when overtaking. However the steering would have benefited from becoming a little heavier at speed.

At one point on the journey home we had to pull over for a passing fire engine so I took the opportunity to give it some beans (on a straight A road and within the speed limit, of course) and the car was certainly no slouch given it's engine and it's size. Lacking the torque of a diesel I found that making use of the rev range enabled suitably 'rapid' progress and my wife laughed at how the engine note sounded like I was a wannabee boy racer. I think that was a compliment...

I found the ride to be very comfortable though wind noise was very evident at motorway speeds. Odd given that I've seen dentists use larger mirrors than those fitted to the doors of the Rapid. That and the small rear window made rear visibility a tad restrictive.

Overall, as a driver's car I found it a very pleasant experience. It won't win any races but that's not the market it's aimed it.

That brings us on to the interior... I easily found a comfortable driving position as the seat was height adjustable and the steering wheel adjusted for reach and rake. However the last time I experienced a clutch pedal with such a high biting point was when driving an Austin Maestro home for a friend many years ago. I found it made starting off in first rather a challenge as the clutch didn't engage until I had my knee against my chin. It did improve though when driving and wasn't so obvious when changing up and down through the gears.

I hopped in the back to try it out for size and there was certainly much more passenger space than in a Fabia and, I think, more than my old Octavia; certainly there was plenty of knee room. The boot was also cavernous and looked to be of a similar size to an Octavia. Being a hatchback rather than a saloon access to it was very easy.

If there's one thing that lets the car down it's the interior materials. I don't mind an all-black interior (my Leon was such an example) and visually the materials look quite pleasant but, oh dear, it's plastic city should you happen to touch them. Apart from the elbow rests on the doors, the gearknob and the steering wheel there isn't a soft-touch material anywhere. OK, so it's a mid-range model in a mid-range spec but every surface has the texture of a cheesegrater and it feels cheap. It's not cheap though - with the dealer extras (heated seats plus some other minor bits) it's around 15k. Car prices seem to have risen a lot over the past few years but my old Octavia wasn't much more and that was much nicer inside with a bigger engine. For a car with less than 2k on the clock it also had an ashtray in the centre console that had come unclipped and no amount of pushing would clip it back in again. Not something you'd want a potential buyer to see.

Back to the engine then... I wrote at the start that I assumed it was the 105ps model but when I dropped it off at the dealer I asked if that was definitely the case. I was very surprised to find that it was actually the 86ps model. The service desk guy said he'd given me that particular car to see what I thought of it and I told him that no way had it felt as if it was the lower spec. engine. I've just compared the specs from the brochures (sad, I know) and it has half the power (86 vs 170), half the torque (160Nm vs 350Nm) and weighs 2/3rds the same as my Superb. I'm very pleasantly surprised with that engine.

So, if I were in the market for a car in this segment would I buy one? The honest answer is no. I found the driving experience enjoyable, the engine fantastic and price-wise it compares favourably with similar cars. However the interior just blows all the good points out of the water. If Skoda were to introduce some better materials in the top half of the dashboard and doors it would be worth the money.

• Like 3

I am considering a 1.2 petrol Octavia Mk3.

A quick check of the brochures and it looks to me like the Rapid and the Octy Mk3 are of a similar weight (1111kg vs 1155kg) I'd imagine that the 1.2 105ps would probably suit it as long as you set your expectations accordingly. It's won't be like your VRS :rofl:

That said though, 105ps (in fact nuts to it let's call it 105BHP) when sat in town & city traffic is just the same as 197BHP.

A quick check of the brochures and it looks to me like the Rapid and the Octy Mk3 are of a similar weight (1111kg vs 1155kg) I'd imagine that the 1.2 105ps would probably suit it as long as you set your expectations accordingly. It's won't be like your VRS :rofl:

That said though, 105ps (in fact nuts to it let's call it 105BHP) when sat in town & city traffic is just the same as 197BHP.

Yes, my expectations are very different. Like you, I have been checking vehicle weights after once making the mistake of buying a low powered Golf Plus that turned out to be a bit of a slug. Only afterwards, when I checked it's huge weight, did I understand why!

I really like the quality of the new Octy together with the low running costs especially associated with the 1.2. Also I want a "light car" that my wife will be happy to drive. My VRS is no lightweight. Anyway, test drive soon and then decision time.

Nice review. I'm very encouraged to hear that you were impressed with the engine as I am picking up one of these on Sunday!

While you know I suffer from Rapid phobia, would you let me know by post or pm what you think of the small petrol engine? Thanks

While you know I suffer from Rapid phobia, would you let me know by post or pm what you think of the small petrol engine? Thanks

Hehe, will do. Got a 200 mile drive home so that should be a good test.

• Like 1

Interesting test and confirms what I have read about this engine. I think sales have been very slow (my local dealer confirmed this) due to Octavia coming on the scene and the car being a bit too expensive compared to that car but we will have to see if it finds its place :)