Bong on startup - no lights/messages

Had this a few times now. It's like the ice/low fuel bong - but no warning lights and nothing on maxi dot.

Sometimes accompanies an extended use starting cycle - only thing I can guess at is the battery on its way out(?)

I've had this a few times. Can't be low battery as it happened after i had filled up with fuel after driving all the way to Germany with the only stop being on the ferry.

Nothing in VCDS either.

Was the alarm going off all night on the ferry? A good battery killer.

Dover to calais? 90mins. Battery is always nearly flat most days now and no bong.

Dover to calais? 90mins. Battery is always nearly flat most days now and no bong.

I go Hull Rotterdam for Germany. If your cabin is above the car deck you hear the alarms sounding all night.

There are quite a few threads on this random bong (excluding temperature, low fuel or seatbelt) and a new battery has been reported to cure it.

At this time of year, are you sure it's not the outside temperature warning bong at 4.0 degrees or lower? Both my Octavias do this when starting up, and both have new batteries on. No fault codes either.

If you fasten your seatbelt before you turn on the ignition, to avoid the "fasten seatbelt" message, you will probably find the outside temperature flashing and the snowflake showing, as it's below 4 degrees..

Mike

Had thought of that but definitely doesn't - this is a mystery bong which only happens when the car has to turn over a couple of extra times to get going, which is why the battery was my first thought.

Plus it's coming up four years old now, which is about when my last VRS suffered battery failure......

This is interesting- I noticed a random bong when I was cleaning the inside of the car a couple of weeks back.

All the doors were open so the interior lights had been on for half an hour or so and then it started 'bonging' every so often. If it's a low battery warning then that makes sense but is also worrying that it can't last half an hour of the interior lights on without draining the battery.....

Happened to me when I was getting the interior detailed, but the swing player displayed a message saying - LOW BATTERY .. quite a neat feature IMO.