ESP light flashes on start up

Oilrag

Recently noticed that the ESP light flashes and get boing sound when start car particularily in mornings NOTE the ESP light does not stay on in dash and dissapears again. Any ideas on this as understand if problem light would remain on (amber?) in dash - so is it an issue or? due 60k service shortly so may wait till then.

Momentary drop in voltage when starter starts cranking is responsible for that ESP light. Frankly, even the biggest battery that fits in the bay is not a guarantee of fixing it, so just ignore it. If you get more lights than just ESP popping up when starter is activated, it is time to recharge or replace your battery.

All 3 Skodas of mine were doing that, though in case of Octavia and Superb it was fully cured by putting in an Exide EA852 battery.

On the Roomster, even Exide EA770 does not cure it (and nothing bigger fits there), you still get ESP light popping up for a moment after starter is going.

If you really cannot live with this, a large LC filter placed somewhere on cabling where ESP ECU sits should fix it.

• Like 1

well temperatures have definitely been low so maybe something in the fact linked to cold weather and when try start early in morning etc. just not sure if indication of some other issue?

Momentary drop in voltage when starter starts cranking is responsible for that ESP light. Frankly, even the biggest battery that fits in the bay is not a guarantee of fixing it, so just ignore it. If you get more lights than just ESP popping up when starter is activated, it is time to recharge or replace your battery.

All 3 Skodas of mine were doing that, though in case of Octavia and Superb it was fully cured by putting in an Exide EA852 battery.

On the Roomster, even Exide EA770 does not cure it (and nothing bigger fits there), you still get ESP light popping up for a moment after starter is going.

If you really cannot live with this, a large LC filter placed somewhere on cabling where ESP ECU sits should fix it.

ok thanks - battery is 3yrs old so maybe related issue. will keep eye out for other errors etc as say.

What is the recommended battery for the Yeti and it's spec?

I assume one size fits all.

What's the largest that will fit?

Seem to remember something to do with cold amp starting or some such name.

I think you'l find that the standard fit battery is an 027.

Put your reg no in on the battery checker at Euro Car Parts (site sponsor). You should be able to get 25% off using the code in their advert (BRISK25). Other suppliers are available!

Ask at you Skoda dealer too. Some offer discounts on "easy fit " parts.

A battery should easily last at least 5 years if looked after and never fully discharged. You'll find some are guaranteed that long anyway (eg the more expensive Bosch ones - which can workout cheaper over time)

I think the battery as fitted is very close to it's maximum rating and, as a result can fall below the accepted voltage on cold mornings.

Be aware that it can go down very quickly and make sure you don't leave anything plugged to the accessory sockets.

Fred

• Like 1

I think the battery as fitted is very close to it's maximum rating and, as a result can fall below the accepted voltage on cold mornings.

Be aware that it can go down very quickly and make sure you don't leave anything plugged to the accessory sockets.

Fred

Like video cameras.

The only time my Yeti wouldn't start was when I left the video cameras on and the didn't drive the car on the Saturday, and it froze heavily overnight and the battery was dead first thing Sunday morning. I had to get a bus to church :sad;

The RAC came out later and jump started it and told me that the batteries that Skoda supplied were cr*p.

I now turn the cameras off every night. It still struggles to start in really cold weather. Skoda refused to replace the battery.

Maybe I will at some point and fit the heaviest duty one I can find that fits.

Sent using whatever device I'm using at the time.