Anyone tried using VCDS on a Skoda Oct. III?

Symbiot

I know it's just out.. The Skoda Octavia III.. but I just ordered one and am still waiting to get it.

Meanwhile I discovered the world of VCDS... :-)

Has anyone had a look at the possibilities of changing/adding stuff to the octy III?

Edited by Symbiot

It's built on the MQB platform so it might be worth investigating what people are doing VCDS wise with the VW Golf MK7, Audi A3 MK3 and the Seat Leon MK3 as it is fairly likely that their electronic systems will be similar.

• 2 weeks later...

MQB is the platform which the new Golf, Octavia, Leon and A3 are based on. To make VCDS compatible we had to make some changes which resulted in publishing the linked beta/preview version. So if you want to work on those models you have to use Beta 12.10 or newer - the older Release 11.11 is NOT compatible. Having said that, VCDS Beta 12.10 does support most diagnostic functions on these models already yet what it does lack is documentation for most of this. So for example coding information is currently extremely limited. As usual we'll update and enhance the documentation with future updates. :)

• 3 months later...

Hi Sebastian.

So Any new developments with the mk3?

I had a guy plug in his cable & laptop but the software didn't give us anything to play with. A few menus Were accessible but no text was present...so we could fiddle with some stuff but we would have no idea what we were changing.. So we agreed to wait and see when rosstech will update the software to support newer models :-)

• 1 month later...

Very impressed with how much VCDS Beta 12.10 already works with Octavia III. I am about to fit a tow bar to mine. Everything for long coding "tow bar fitted" seems to be there except for the ABS which currently has no support. Does anyone know what the correct long coding is for the abs for tow bar fitted?

• 3 weeks later...

I have a Mk3 and VCDS.  Quite a few things can be played with in the latest version as per the old models.  I've got no ability to code the CAN Gateway though - it just won't accept any coding.  Central Electrics is there and can be coded with Long Coding support, but there isn't much you can do.  

The entertainment bus seems to accept adaptations, but no coding support on my car.

And as for me trying to retrofit a Columbus Navigation unit instead of my Bolero, it is proving impossible so far. Sebastian has been trying to help, but we've not cracked it so far.  Skoda have put a lot of protection in place, I guess to prevent thefts, but it doesn't help poor old people like me who've bought a legit new unit!

On the old Mk2, everything was a lot better tested and documented, and the systems were simpler so there was a lot more the hobbyist could do on VCDS.

I have a Mk3 and VCDS.  Quite a few things can be played with in the latest version as per the old models.  I've got no ability to code the CAN Gateway though - it just won't accept any coding.  Central Electrics is there and can be coded with Long Coding support, but there isn't much you can do.  

The entertainment bus seems to accept adaptations, but no coding support on my car.

Interesting. Is this with version 12.12.0 of VCDS?

You may want to differentiate between "coding not supported" and "no documentation for coding". Based on our testing we believe that coding is supported for all modules, the lack of documentation on the other hand should have drastically improved with Release 12.12 - as usual additional details will be added with future updates.

Please elaborate what you are looking for coding wise in the Gateway (#19) and the Infotainment system (#5F), we might be able to assist you with that. The Body Control Module (BCM/#09) coding is pretty complete, everything you consider missing either can be found via adaptation or simply isn't supported by the module in the first place. Yet again, feel free to elaborate what you are looking for so we can actually look into it. :)

Hi Sebastian,

I'll be getting my car back at the weekend so will advise on here the exact coding I need.

Thanks for your help, and yes, I should have said undocumented, rather than unsupported.  VCDS is as ever, a fantastic tool and is surprisingly up to date given how long MQB has been out. :)

• 1 month later...

You may want to differentiate between "coding not supported" and "no documentation for coding". Based on our testing we believe that coding is supported for all modules, the lack of documentation on the other hand should have drastically improved with Release 12.12 - as usual additional details will be added with future updates.

Please elaborate what you are looking for coding wise in the Gateway (#19) and the Infotainment system (#5F), we might be able to assist you with that. The Body Control Module (BCM/#09) coding is pretty complete, everything you consider missing either can be found via adaptation or simply isn't supported by the module in the first place. Yet again, feel free to elaborate what you are looking for so we can actually look into it. :)

Hi Sebastian

I am trying to enable the menu option on the MIB Columbus to enable the display of the embedded speed limit data from the maps - I should have the option to turn this on and off from the map setup menu but it isnt there. Others have this menu option from the factory. I am not talking about traffic sign recogniton and the display of the speed signs on the Maxidot, just displaying the data that is embedded in the map on the Columbus itself in the top left corner, like the later firmwares on the RNS510 did.

Any help you can provide would be appreciated.

Thanks

Andy

• 5 weeks later...