Is there a rear shock fitting guide for the VRS?

Just failed my NCT (Irish version of the MOT) on a leaking rear shock.

The ride is fine, I don't find any difference at all.

I've changed shocks/coilovers on couple cars before, but not on a VRS.

Also, not sure do I just need to replace the shocks, or top mounts etc?

No need of a fitting guide, Jack car up, take wheel off, undo lower shock bolt, 2 or 3 bolts top of wheel arch to undo the top mount of the shock and it comes out. Once the wheel is off you can look up the wheel arch and see the top mounts for the shock

Sent from my Galaxy S3, not a Crapple!

• Like 1

No need of a fitting guide, Jack car up, take wheel off, undo lower shock bolt, 2 or 3 bolts top of wheel arch to undo the top mount of the shock and it comes out. Once the wheel is off you can look up the wheel arch and see the top mounts for the shock

Sent from my Galaxy S3, not a Crapple!

Thanks Raf. What about reusing the topmounts, or rubber covers?

Is it suggested you replace shock, top mounts and covers if only shock is leaking?

If the top mount is in good nick you can reuse them but if they are knackered replace them, same goes for the bump stops.

It's one bolt at the bottom of the shock and two at the top to remove the shock from the car. Then you need a swan neck spanner to remove the top mount. Just be careful with the two bolts holding the top mount to the car, mine were silly tight and you don't want to snap the captive nut so back and forth it with plenty of WD

It's a really easy job. Had mine in and out a few times.

I replaced the rear top mounts on mine.

I shouldn't have bothered though they're nearly a solid bush so I wouldn't think they're gone. They're a generic MK4 platform part so easily got.

The only thing that was a little tricky is holding the strut from turning while undoing the nut to get the top mount off.

The covers should be fine to re use, As for the bump stops. I priced vRS ones and they were close to €100 but I fitted Golf ones and they are the very same :whew: , maybe a tiny bit longer but even with my car lowered now I don't have any issues and it has passed the NCT.

If you need a hand or get into any trouble I'm about Galway just give me a shout.

• Like 1

Cheers Michael, might give you a shout so : )

Did you replace the top mounts as you thought they were knackered, or just do it while you where there?

Was on to Skoda there, they are saying that Skoda do both a standard gas shock, and a "economical" gas shock, but he couldn't tell the difference between the two, except for price of them. €75 each for standard, €50 each for economical shocks. Top mounts are €25 each, and I think he said the bump stops were 15 each, all ex-VAT.

I think the bump stops are perished, so I'll replace them, but not sure if I need to do the top mounts, or should I just do them while I'm there anyway?

Guest BigJase88

Dont bother changing top mounts theres nothing to the rear ones to go wrong!

Your bumpstops will be perished so id change them

Right so I've got the shock off, but how are you supposed to stop the shock from spinning when taking off the top nut from the mount?

Have tried a couple of ways so far, but every way I've tried the shock spins with it?

What's best way to sop that?

That's what I was talking about, I needed to use a cranked spanner like this. along with vice grips. to hold the square top of the shock.

If you are sure your new shocks are ok you could just grab the lower bit with vice-grips. (it will probably ruin the seal if you tried to use the shock again though.) 45027_image.jpg

Ya I was clamping on the vice grips and getting a socket on the top, but even then it's still spinning.

I don't mind damaging the old shock at this stage, just want the fc.uker off!!!!!

Haven't got a access to a vice though : (

Edited by Col200sx

Ahhhh I see what I was doing wrong (thanks Michael for help through text!).

Numpty mistake. Got a 17 spanner (that's not a swan neck so can be done without) on top and held the flat bit properly, now top nut off and mount looks in decent shape.

Thanks folks.

• Like 1

All was going great..........

Until replacing the second shock, the two bolts up top, seems the last bit of thread was damaged, so now cant get the bolt back up there, there's resistance from the start.

Am I in trouble?

Get a tap and clean the thread or if you cant do that get another bolt with the same thread and cut a groove in it with a hacksaw to try clean the thread in the nut.

Be careful not to cross thread the nut or to break the welds holding it there

strut8.jpg Like this only mine was flattened instead of an allen key fitting.

I got myself a special socket set that has center hole to allow allen key/socket to go down center. Great idea and use all the time. Good for front top strut nut also

Sent from my Galaxy S3.

• 3 weeks later...

Cheers folks, got sorted (forgot to update :o)

Friend who's an indy mechanic retapped so no issues at all, and all for only €15.

I'm surprised how different the ride feels though, it's way more bouncy than before. Just goes to show how nackered my rear shocks were!

bowlers where did you get the socket set from

Similar to Draper Vortex but these are made by Proxxon.

clever piece of kit really, and used quite a lot. Ideal for stubborn suspension and small area's a large headed socket wrench can't get to

2013-04-06135033_zpsb398c4a4.jpg

2013-04-06135020_zps8f872a02.jpg

blimey just seen how much they are now ....

http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/400371582918?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&_lwgsi=y&cbt=y&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=63&ff19=0

Draper example are good enough

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/78673-DRAPER-Expert-16-Piece-13mm-Metric-Vortex-Socket-Set-Draper-78673-VTX16A-/160875032882?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2574e63132

Ratchet spanners are just as handy really

Not really , well not for what is intended on this thread as they don't have a wide enough angle to get to the nut.