Is there a rear shock fitting guide for the VRS?

Ratchet spanners are just as handy really

Ratchet spanners can't get on to the nut, as the nut does not protrude from the strut. The disadvantage of a gear wrench (Vortex, etc) is that it's not available as a torque wrench.

The correct tool to use is an open-sided socket. The socket goes on a torque wrench and you counter-hold the strut rod with a hex key. These are what VAG techs use.

openskt.JPG 

Ratchet spanners can't get on to the nut, as the nut does not protrude from the strut. The disadvantage of a gear wrench (Vortex, etc) is that it's not available as a torque wrench.

The correct tool to use is an open-sided socket. The socket goes on a torque wrench and you counter-hold the strut rod with a hex key. These are what VAG techs use.

openskt.JPG

True , nice post, is there a link for these as they don't seem to be readily available

True , nice post, is there a link for these as they don't seem to be readily available

Those are VW ones and they may be available from a dealer. I'm sure Snap-on will do similar tools.

The 21mm for the front is VAG tool code 3186 (Hazet 2593). Aftermarket struts often use 22mm top nuts, but as we always replace them with 21mm VAG top nuts, this is the only size we need.

The 16mm for the rear is VAG tool code 3379

You also need VAG counterholding tool 3079 (does 5mm and 6mm strut tangs)

There is a combined tool for the rear (VAG tool code 30179A) but I prefer to use the separate tools

IIRC, some of the Golf Mk4 boys have used a Duratec injector socket such as http://www.ebay.co.u...M-/390542986449 for the fronts. I've not tried one myself, but they look as though they are good for 60Nm.

Those are VW ones and they may be available from a dealer. I'm sure Snap-on will do similar tools.

The 21mm for the front is VAG tool code 3186 (Hazet 2593). Aftermarket struts often use 22mm top nuts, but as we always replace them with 21mm VAG top nuts, this is the only size we need.

The 16mm for the rear is VAG tool code 3379

You also need VAG counterholding tool 3079 (does 5mm and 6mm strut tangs)

There is a combined tool for the rear (VAG tool code 30179A) but I prefer to use the separate tools

IIRC, some of the Golf Mk4 boys have used a Duratec injector socket such as http://www.ebay.co.u...M-/390542986449 for the fronts. I've not tried one myself, but they look as though they are good for 60Nm.

Nice information there buddy.

I was looking at this.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/US-PRO-1-2-Inch-6-piece-Thin-Walled-Diesel-Injector-Removal-Sockets-Open-Sided-/281072857129?pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item41713f7029

but a bit steep considering i have the Proxxon socket set already and although can't torque, fit's most of my needs

Any ideas what the inner strut nut size is. not sure that is 21mm. My KW's use 22mm top nuts