Turbo seal failure

_Jim

Hi guys, I wonder if anyone more clued up than me could help. Since I bought my VRs I've noticed a little blue smoke when the car is started every morning, I presumed it wasn't anything to worry about and carried on driving it as normal. I've researched it and it seems reasonably common.

Today I went to do an oil and filter change and noticed the bottom intercooler hose was absolutely covered in oil at the join.

55E17DE5-D7CA-4EC1-9E2D-C499E9BEE0D2-7825-00000561A990D065_zpsabe483e3.jpg

I removed the undertray and noticed that the metal intercooler hose was also covered in oil.

B57A5761-5B28-4017-B31C-DA7A3A1CAC99-7825-00000561AE29A595_zps71b24695.jpg

You can also see that the outlet of the turbo has oil around the join to the boost hose. This next picturemay show it a tad more clearly:

289846C7-392D-480A-BA16-8FC8A79715EB-7825-000005619FA55DBB_zps39a0593b.jpg

The car drives perfectly. No smoke at all (that I can see) when driving. None of my friends have mentioned it when following (all car nuts too so would have said). The pictures look pretty conclusive to me that the seals have gone / are going.

What do you guys think? Is it normal or?

That much oil shouldn't be passing the turbo into the hoses causing them to look like that though surely?

Or is that how diesels are?

Edited by _Jim

That's oil from crank case it gets sucked through the egr vavle and then into the intercooler then it leaks from the joint

If you look for ccv mod or elephant hose mod it should stop oil getting into the intercooler pipes and then leaking from the joints in the pipes and you engine will be sucking on clean fresh air only and not a mixture of oil vapour and air

• Like 1

My elephant mod drips a fair bit I'm shocked how much **** drips out.

There is always a puff of smoke on start up mine has done it since the day I bought it.

people who have done the elephant hose mod, how much oil actually drips out? Would it be noticeable all over my driveway?

Don't know I run mine to a catch can first then to atmosphere have to empty can which is only small every 500miles have noticed the odd one or two spots of oil from end of pipe on drive but I've had it on for over a year or more they are all different though some get loads and others get none vent it and put done cardboard down with a brick on it so it don't blow away in wind to check how much drips

That's a relief then. When I bought it the garage overfilled it with oil, would that contribute to this?

The breather would have sucked more through wouldn't it?

That's a relief then. When I bought it the garage overfilled it with oil, would that contribute to this?

The breather would have sucked more through wouldn't it?

Yes over filling it won't do it any favours

And possibly more oil more pressure more to get sucked out

A fair bit best to take it off car and clean out with carb cleaner and soapy water then rinse through with clean water until it runs clean let it dry out completely then refit think there's a guide on here some where or just google vrs intercooler cleaning

That's how it fits. I checked mine the other day and thought it was a weird setup as it looks like it's coming off. Have you got loads of play with that pipe where it goes into the turbo? Mine didn't have a lot oil over mine though

I've done the elephant mod and was extremely suprised at how much oil comes out of the pipe, it's hard to find a reason why it has been designed to put that much oil back into the intake ! The elephant mod would be the first thing to do on any other PD engined car I bought.

If alot of oil comes out of the elephant mod and my pipes haven't been touched in a good few thousand miles, it may explain it then :rofl:.

Edited by _Jim

I had it all apart today. A tiny drip came out of the bottom pipe to the intercooler. At most a teaspoon full. So I don't think it is anything to worry about at all.

And with regards play in the pipe connected to the turbo, there is loads yeah.

We stripped down a friends vrs and his was exactly the same so I'm happy.